Bessemer Oil Field Engine Found in Original Engine House Needs Rescue

I have a Bessemer oil field engine that is currently located in the original engine house and has been untouched for more than fifty years. I would like to relocate the derrick, fulcrum, engine house and engine to a new location and resurrect the entire site and make it fully operational. I am looking for OFES members that would like to get involved in the project. The site is located near Morgantown and the new site will be on the same property. The purpose of the move is to restore the rig and preserve it for future generations. I would like to make the rig available to OFES members to enjoy after the move is complete.

Attachments

Mike G

Welcome to the Stak!

It was nice talking to you last night, I know you will find all of the help you need here!

Mike

The Wood County Historical Society in Bowling Green, Ohio has a steam powered drilling rig with steel derrick very similar to this one. I believe the derrick came from West Virginia. The steam engine and boiler came from Lima, Ohio where they had a wooden derrick that was not salvageable. We run it under steam during our Heritage Days show.
www.woodcountyhistory.org

Bob
WB8NQW

Tremel

Subscriber
Looking at the derrick, it appears to be a drilling rig. The drilling rigs are a bit rare, as they were typically moved from well to well. Most of the derricks that survived into the late 1900's and early 2000's are baling rigs. The baling rigs are typically made out of pipe. And sometimes smaller.

I helped move a drilling rig in 1986 (I was 16) to NationalPike, just north of Morgantown. We then re-moved the rig to a new location on the fairgrounds last year. (www.nationalpike.com)

I removed two other rigs and rebuilt one for another individual.

Drop me a line sometime and I'll share what I know. I"m also somewhat local to Morgantown (about an hour away). I would like to see more pics of the rig.

Jeff Smith

Subscriber
I find it very exciting that this well still exists in Morgantown! I thought that all of them have been removed, but at least one has made it past the scrappers!

I wonder if I went to this well as a child because I used to go with a friend that was a pumper once in a while.:D

I would like to see this well the next time I head home.

:wave:

Thank you to everyone that has contacted me. It’s been a pleasure corresponding with each of you. I am willing to pay a crew to dismantle and resurrect the structure but that seems unlikely based on the conversations I’ve had recently. Do you have a suggestion? If yes, please contact me. If I can’t find a mover, I plan to remove the rig and cap the well anyway. Dare I say the word: SCRAP? I hate the thought but it may be my best option. Can you help? If yes, please step up to the plate. I need you. If you want to preserve my rig, speak up.
I prefer to keep the rig intact. Are there any nonprofit organizations interested in preserving the rig?
There are many people interested in touring the rig in its current location. If you are interested in a tour, I can make myself available one day during the month of August. What’s the best date for you?

Mike G

Surely someone has to be interested in helping? I would be willing to lend a hand, but I don't have the equipment necessary to move stuff off off or around the site.

Mike

Rod Fielder

back a few years ago when dr. Paul Harvey from the coolspring museum was in college in Morgantown, he logged many miles in the woods to visit the old well sites, most of them still pumping. he is coming down to my place for a visit this weekend and we area going to explore several sites in Calhoun County, Wv. I will show him these photos. he might remember seeing this one.

:D:D

Rod Fielder

paul and I discussed a road trip to visit you. we went oil field hunting today. we found many wells with engines, etc. we are looking forward to seeing yours

rod