• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Bessemer Vertical 8 H.P. update

Gary Bahre

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/30/2019
With the start of cooler weather the restoration of the 8 hp Vertical Bessemer has started. This old engine has had a very hard life its working days in Ky. then holding a mail box on a rock road in Il. it was out side for decades maybe all its life. Battle scars the water jacket was welded many years ago, the con rod broken this stopped it being used. This summer I took it all apart, made plans on what needed done to get it back to a running condition. Some of the work still to do is make a new con, rod sleeve the cylinder. All the small parts have been cleaned and repaired. Gary

Attachments

Gary Bahre

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/30/2019
Work is slowly progressing on the 8 hp Bessemer vertical, the cylinder/piston is at the machine shop for a new cylinder liner and rings. When the parts get back from the machine shop a new con rod will be made from bar stock. While all that is taking place the rest of the engine is coming along just fine. Today the flywheels were put back on the crankshaft also the governor installed it's starting to look like a engine again. I know it's not the right mag for this engine but its in time. Good luck to anyone working on a winter project. Gary

Attachments

CJKlossner

Registered
The Bessemer has as sleeve. The cylinder had a fair amount of wear. The rust barely cleaned up in the thickness of the sleeve. The piston measures out very close to the original 5". Next up will be facing the top then cutting the ports.

Bessemerbore.jpg

bessemerbore1.jpg

bessemerbore2.jpg

Chris

Gary Bahre

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/30/2019
We had a real nice day here in Southern Illinois today, so I spent the afternoon in the shop. I turned the little end, the big end and the rough turned wrist pin bushing with a photo of all the parts. All of the parts go to the welder that will build the con rod. After that the bronze bushing will be pressed in and babbitt poured. Then the last of the machine work finished. Still plenty more to do and more to come on this project. Enjoy Gary

Attachments

David N Johnson

Registered
The Mrs, her Mother and I visited the Mailbox Engine today at Gary's shed, and took some photos and just a little video:

It's looking good, Gary! This was really a Sad Case, but it will be going soon.

CJKlossner

Registered
A few more steps in the process. The head surface has been refaced it was true to the bore and reasonably flat but needed a few passes to remove the pitting. It also needed a helicoil for one of the head bolts.

Bessemerface.jpg

Bessemerhelicoil.jpg

Chris

Gary Bahre

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/30/2019
With the cylinder work finished this past Sunday the parts were picked up. On Monday I checked on the work going on of building the new connecting rod, three pieces of flat stock make up the beam. I just had to sit the cylinder on the base and take a photo of what the mail box engine will look like. Still a lot of small steps in making this old engine run again. Enjoy Gary

Attachments

Rich Mueller Sr

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Coming along nicely Gary!! Wish I would have seen the cyl at the Ill-Mo auction, I keep forgetting to bring a chair, those metal chairs get my back every year, and gets a flare going, is why I left early so I could walk to the truck. At least it wasn't a plastic one and fold up on me like in Macon Mo auction, LOL. Nice to meet you , hey did you post a pic of the Weeden steam engine toy you got, that was neat, something you don't see at the auction too much. Rich

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Looks good Gary.
I have a 4 H.P. Bessemer and a 6 H.P. MiddleDitch verticals. They both look Identical except for size.
My dad got the Bessemer from the original owner. He said he ordered it from MiddleDitch and when the engine came it was taged Bessemer.

Steve

Brickman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2008
looking good gary hope to see it run at thecrank up maybe. ron brown in central illinois

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Possibly if I start diging right now....they are kind of burried behind about 10 tons of other junk, I mean antiques. :)
I will see what I can do.

Steve