• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Best Hard Drive

sdowney717

Registered
Re: Best hard drive

I use Western Digital for spinning-disk drives. Had a really bad run of Seagates a few years ago, Barracuda 7200 RPM models. Three failed with bad spindle bearings, the second two being replacement for the original failed disk. I disassembled the final failure since I didn't plan on returning it, bearings were seized so tightly that I could only turn the platters with channel lock pliers.

For SSDs, just go with a good brand. I like Intel, Kingston and Samsung. Installing an SSD in an older machine will get you a few more years out of it, it feels like a brand-new machine a lot of the time. If you're using Windows XP, make sure to install the drivers that come with the SSD or it'll wear out prematurely.
you're absolutely correct, I never bought any Seagates, too much bad news on the forums.
I buy used drives off ebay. Mostly WDC, Hitachi, the good drives have fluid bearings, no more ball bearings. They have all been lasting a long time.

https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/FD_White_Paper_FINAL.pdf

I like to buy bigger drives, and highest speeds I can afford. Some drives are advertised low usage for archiving.

len k

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2018

To guarantee I wipe the hard drive clean of EVERYTHING, I like to zero the drive and format it with self booting formatting software that comes from the hard disk manufacturer. That way there is no chance some virus or something that has infected windows can survive. This is because the the disk boots to a known clean OS ( which is typically a variation of DOS). I know this type software exists for Maxtor Brand Drives, it's called MaxBlast, typically versions 3,4,5. I run Maxtor disks and use Maxblast.

Don't know if Maxblast will format another manufacter's drive. Think I "fooled" it by also putting a Maxtor drive on the computer so software will not refuse to work. I forget the details, have to play with it.

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015

^ I have a 20 year old Maxtor that I keep putting in new computers as a second or third drive. That thing hasn't sneezed and I bet there's 50,000 hours on it.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018

So far the hard drive swap i did on a dell was a flop.
I got another Dell and it works ok but only has explorer 8 on it and ebay does not support it and it wont work. The main thing I need the second computer for.

What I am wondering is if I could get someone to send me a cd copy of Fire Fox and I can load that on it and use it that way.
I like it on this machine,seems to work well. But I don't know the file size and on dial up it could take a long time to download.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018

I bought a flash drive at Office depot for 5.99 on closeout. a 32 gig.
I took it by a computer shop and they put something on it so i could get to the site easier and it takes a bit over 4 hours to download Firefox on dial up.:eek:But it can be done! :)
The old lap top I am working on to use works better with it that internet exploder.
thanks for the help from this thread.

csareb

Registered

I recommend wd black series for a conventional harddrive. they have a large cache buffer, and dual processing I/O chips for better throughput. large capacity as well, 2tb is easily less than 150.00, around 80-100.00 typically.
still a lot slower than a modern quality SSD, but its one of the fastest mechanical drives they make.

len k

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2018

Staples usually has real GOOD sale prices on Black Friday, best of the year on computer stuff. harddrives, USB flash drives, mice , etc ........