• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

BIG Briggs ignition systems.

EvilDr235

Registered
I am still learning about the bigger Briggs engines models 9,14,19 and 23. I know of at least 3 types of ignition systems used on these models. You have the magnamatic system with the points on the side of the block and the coil under the flywheel like my model 23A . My model 23C has the points under the flywheel with a coil above the flywheel. My model 19D has the points on the side of the block that are different than the model 23A points and a coil above the flywheel. I have yet removed the blower housing on some of my engines, so i still may have even a different type yet to be discovered. I know about the late K.D.Redd's coil update / conversion. Has any body else come up with a coil update for the Big Briggs ? I have ran several of mine with a automotive coil and a battery when the coil has failed. Part of my plan is to find a modern set of points to adapt to the Big Briggs to lower the cost of getting them running and not buying expensive original points. I have found some original sets selling on the average as high as $40.00 and some even higher.That is just way to high. I have many sets of new points from U.S. built cars and trucks and plan to go thru them to find something i can adapt. I have no desire to go to a electronic system. I like simple. Besides replacement points will be hidden. I understand some people only like everything original and that is fine. I may wind up running a modern coil with a battery and a charging system. I want to build something along the like of a big Tote Gote and where i go i need something that is easy to fix.

Bolens 1000

Registered
Have any pictures of the mystery ignition systems maybe we can ID them.

I still stock alot of the ignition parts for these and $40 is about what points go for these days, if you look at Onan and Wisconsin engines $40 is quite cheap for a points set!

EvilDr235

Registered
The model 23C and the model 19D are both factory ignition systems. I understand parts for these old engines are not being made anymore, but if i can find modern parts that i all ready have that makes more sense to use them. $40.00 is the average price i have been paying for complete engines. I currently know of four Big Briggs for sale and i will be buying some of them. When i need parts i like to walk in a store and buy them. I was a old car / truck guy for many years and still have a bunch of ignition parts from my swap meet selling days. I may keep a few of the engines stock, so i will buy some original parts for them.