• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Big Myers Bulldozer Flat Belt Piston Pump

ronny p 148

Registered
Waiting on Jack he has to have the nuts that go to the leather assembly made in a machine shop. real weird thread 17/32X 12 . He said they can't be found any where .

Ronny

ronny p 148

Registered
I was able to meet with Jack Welton I got a set of leathers for this pump. Having the 7/32X12 thread nuts that go on the brass shaft made by him. There not available anywhere.

Ronny

ronny p 148

Registered
Well still working on this pump .I acquired new leathers and locking nuts that go on the piston shaft. Anyone know what the diaphragm like housing is on the intake pipe ?

Ronny

ronny p 148

Registered
I don't need anything for this pump i already have got them from Jack Welton. Just looking for info on the assembly on intake pipe.

Ronny

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
As this pump has a fairly big bore, I'me pretty sure that you are probably looking at a shock absorber! When the piston draws water, the flow tries to keep going, although the piston has now switched direction. The absorber takes away the hydraulic shock until the next intake pulse starts. The diaphram stops the absorber from getting 'slugged', that is, air in the water gets absorbed into the water and the chamber gets filled up solid with water, making it useless. A picture of the device will tell for sure.The outlet should have an acumulater on it for the same reason - to even out the pulses generated by the action of the pump. These pumps make a nice display when belted up!
Andrew

Edit: I looked over your pictures again, and it definately is a shock absorber! You also have the accumulater dome as well, for the outlet side of the pump.
AKM

Last edited:

ronny p 148

Registered
I need to tighten packing around brass piston rodd. Theres a large brass piece that rodd goes through as it travels towards pump sylinder. Not shure how this brass piece adjusts. I should of asked Jack Welton when I had him om phone yesterday. How do I adjust this and not break nothing.

Ronny

ronny p 148

Registered
don't see the springs your talking about in the picture.

Ronny

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

This pump won't pump I put in new leathers I have it plumbed to a 1/2 wisky barrel all my other smaller pumps ok this way but get very little out of this pump. Theres considerable leakage out of packing. Also theres very little resistance when piston rod and pidton moves. Clearence wetween leathers and cylinder looks ok. Any sugestions ?

Ronny

Jeff LaCrone

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/29/2018
don't see the springs your talking about in the picture.

Ronny

Int the third picture there down in the bottom beside the gear. They are hard to see in the picture. I'll take a better one. They are just laying in the bottom and I thought someone may have just threw them in there, as easy as it is to get the cover off.

Harvey Teal

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/22/2019
The springs are used on your valves. There should be one spring at each valve.
Without the springs, the pump won't work properly.......

Dyingbreed

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/07/2018
Can anyone tell me how much one of these pumps is worth? I found one at an antique shop it looks to have been torn apart and loosly put back together looks to be all there. It looks interesting to me I have a lot of hit and miss engines looking for another thing to have a running display. They are asking $200. Any idea would be helpful

Thanks,
Dyingbreed

Cord

Registered
Digging up an old thread. Well, I just bought a Myers pump as well. Tripped across the pump with 45 minutes left in the auction. It was apparently used by a municipality to pump out low areas in a cemetery. The removed it from service when the motor failed. Said the pump always produced 70psi. I paid $35 for the pump so I figured it was worth the risk. Does anybody know if these are suction pumps or pusher pumps?

Attachments

GarysToys

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2018
Greg

Did you ever get your 3hp FM engine and pump operating.

I am still trying to get to mine, I did pick up a good operating FM 3 hp engine.

Now to get time for the pump.

If you have it operating I sure would like a video to get me in the mood.

Greg Best

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/15/2018
I got a lot done now working on my shop addition so I will have room to work on it.

Andy Williams

Registered
I just bought one of these pumps from one of my old teachers. he had rebuilt it in 1988 i havn't tried it yet but seems to me in working condition. it had paperwork where he spent about $70 on parts then. he found it in the woods where it had been for years. He thought this one was from the 40s. These pumps were made until the late 50s and maybe later. As said all look alike from the 20s to end of production. I also had a neighbor that had two under the overhang of his house , He was planning on using one of them for irrigation for his garden but died before he did. jeff yours has the idler pulley for a large gas engine. mine just has the small bracket on top for an electric motor or small gas engine. a photo i have shows a small air cooled lauson. i have a 1/2 hp century motor that looks just like some photos in the myers book.