• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Bing Steam Engine with Shipping Crate

Larry Evans

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
A good friend of mine just bought this at an estate sale. It came in what we think is the original shipping crate and packed in excelsior. There was no paper work or instruction manual. If possible we would like to find a model number or name and any possible sources for an instruction manual. As far as we can tell it seems to be absolutely complete. Here are some approximate dimensions:

base = 18 x 20", engine base = 6 x 12", flywheel = 6" diameter, 24" to top of stack, and boiler = 4.5 x 11.75 " (11 x 30 cm.)

Below are some pictures.

Thanks for any information,
Larry Evans

Attachments

QuickJ

Registered
This is a Bing Uniflow Poppet Valve engine. Probably made post 1917 since it has that logo on the cylinder cover. This is the largest size they made and is fairly rare, especially in the condition it is in.

Very nice find

Jim in Minnesota

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
That's the nicest looking toy steam engine I think I have ever seen. It's almost in pristine condition. Not only would I clean it, but I would see if there is a professional restorer that could fix some of the chipped paint. It's an object d'art.