• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Blacksmith Shops of the Past

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
I would have to agree. He was making those presses. Look at his body language. He’s either extremely proud or he made it or both. I’m certainly no expert but I’ve never seen another press like it. If yours looks like that it has to be part of a small production? No tags on it? Stamped serial number?
Outstanding that you very likely have a picture of your machine and the man that made it! Historic, even!

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
In the same vein as “blacksmith“, I put up a blacksmith shed roof today outside my old-timey machine shop. The idea is to seperate the heat of the forge from the wooden structure. I used an old 12’ sq. metal sliding door as the roof. The shed roof will also help to keep the afternoon summer sun off my other work areas.
I hope to bring in the power hammer and vises and anvils this spring.

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
As I’ve said before, this particular photo shows the vibe I’m going for at my shop. Late blacksmith/machine shop/early auto repair.
Since I first posted this picture about two years ago, I’ve sourced most if not all of the machines shown. It turns out that they are relatively inexpensive and somewhat plentiful. At least that’s true in Central CA. Often, the hardest thing is moving the lump of iron to its new perch. The bare lineshafts are still available from suppliers. However, the pulleys, hangers, clutches, etc. shown can be like unicorns. Rare and expensive when you find them. You need to have waaay more of these items to choose from when fitting a machine shop, too. THIS is the bottleneck in recreating a 1910-era machine shop, the attendant equipment to run your machines.
My plan is to use the electric motors cobbed on long ago to each machine to make the tool immediately useful. But always work towards installing the original line shaft stuff to run them “old school”.

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Bartell’s in Reedley, CA is a old, continuing operating blacksmith/machine shop that has been around since about 1900. Maybe before. It had dirt floors for the longest time.
I took some poor surreptitious interior shots. Evidently, Reedley would prefer if the shop would disappear. I hope to capture a few shots and maybe a few items before it goes. I hope it doesn’t go.

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
This isn’t directly blacksmith-related but instead shows the incredible searchable power of Calisphere (digitized photographic collections of all California Universities).
The man on the hay rake once owned the property I’m on. His last name is Pattee. He could very well be photographed where I am sitting right now. That hay rake he’s on sat out front of our property for years.
I suspect this photo is 100 years old. Mr. Pattee was a lumberjack who felled the nearby giant sequoias. When he was done there he settled near Monson, California just as the San Joaquin Valley was beginning to be irrigated for farming.

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Again, showing off Calisphere, this photo was taken very close to the house where I grew up in San Dimas, CA. Probably less than a hundred yards away. I looked at a later version of this scene every day of my young life,
Appears to have been taken after one of our spring hailstorms. Pointed towards the south end of San Dimas Canyon Rd. and looking north at Mt. Baldy. City of La Verne begins towards the right.
Circa 1910. Impossible for me not to be affected by it. No doubt one of our neighbors took it. Amazing!

Attachments

Bear67

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/02/2020
MM asked about pictures earlier--here are a few on my computer. I need to take down the front tarp and take some, but it has rained and rained and rained--not that we did not need and thanked the Good Lord for each drop. We have had dry fall and winter. Tanks pretty well filled up today after 5+ inches in 24 hours. For you guys who don't understand "tank"--that is what a man made farm pond is here.

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Bear, thanks for the great pictures!
Those are pure blacksmith! Through and through.
Those tools can be seen in just about every old blacksmith photo I’ve posted. Wonderful collection.