• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Blackstone vs Clutterbuck/Perry?

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Little mention that I have seen here in the past, that I can recollect? are the Clutterbuck oil engines, mostly thought of as a copy of the Blackstone, there seems a number of differences in the two makes of hot bulb engines when compared, a gutter around the base of the bed the most obvious and in the case of the 10hp Clutterbuck and other sizes? oil boxes on the mains and a oil pick up ring and sight glass oiler for the rod bearing, any other thoughts of the differences between the engines and the history of the 'Clutterbuck' oil engine? all that said a Clutterbuck seems a unusual sight on the rally field nowadays as compared with the number of Blackstone's being well represented at many events?

Attachments

isandian

Registered
The last photo was of the Clutterbuck in the sale on 9 March at Nericon near Griffith. Do you know what became of it? I visited the property in early February to check out another engine of interest.

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Hello Ian, I attended the Nericon auction to see if I could acquire the other engines of interest that were not in the sale, no luck in that regard but at the auction purchased the 10hp Clutterbuck, the 7hp Waterloo boy and a Mitchell engine transport, Clutterbuck had the cooling tower stack missing, chance had it the next week at the Bookham auction I acquired the correct stack for the Clutterbuck, as not a great deal appears wrong with the engine I should have it running soon enough and hopefully show it at the Clarendon rally in September.

Attachments

isandian

Registered
How good was that, locating the correct cooling tower! I will look forward to seeing the Clutterbuck at Clarendon. Were the results of the Nericon auction published? I have not seen any prices.