• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Blaxland Chapman Engine

Engineman87

Registered
Hi ladies and gents,
I know not specifically a stationary engine however I was wondering if anyone that frequents this forum has any knowledge of the Blaxland Chapman engines commonly found in older style boats. I have engine number 1511 it is in running condition in an 18ft open boat. I was curious as to the approximate year of
Manufacture. Thank you in advance.

Engineman87

Registered
Re: Blaxland Chapman engine

Hi Scott I am currently away I will send some of the boat when I am back. I believe it was a hire boat from the Hawkesbury river and I think also it may have been built by blaxland as they also did boats from my understanding, I have seen similar shape and makeup boats which are confirmed as being from the engine maker. Unfortunately the history on this one is lost as it has been through many hands as a mooring minder in the south Sydney area, it has been fibreglassed to the gunwales by a boat builder which is a good job with the interest of keeping it water tight on the mooring and needs some minor timber work fixing on the top deck in the form of a new rubbing strip. I hope to have it ready to enter the davidstown putt putt regatta this year. I am awaiting the new shed to be finished so I can cram it full of engines and the boat to conduct the work.
Regards

cobbadog

Registered
There is a bloke who usually comes up to the Rusty Iron Rally in Macksville on the Fathers Day weekend who has a big collection of marine engines. He is with the Sydney Antique Machinery Club out Windsor / Richmond way. If you continue to be stuck try contacting them and they may be able to help you.

Yep, I'm with Scotty on these little engines and clinker boats.
I have also just finished reading an article on a bloke Lawrence Hall and his Mowhall mower. He used a marine engine with a vertical shaft to become a mower. Merv Richardson saw it and asked to 'copy' it but with changes and we know where that went.

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020

Scotty, my dream too, just for fun. I do have a little one cylinder Penguin in pieces, maybe........?

softy42

Registered

Hi, is it complete & ready to restore ? Any pics ?

---------- Post added at 08:50:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47:09 AM ----------

Sorry, questions directed to Aussiiron re Penguin

cobbadog

Registered
Does Spiro come to this Forum, he may have some answers for Engineman87

Send AusAnzani a PM he might have some answers for you. He doesn't always check in so be patient.

Engineman87

Registered
Yanmar or Kohler diesel?
Good guess, the wet exhaust throws many people off... it’s a Honda GX200 with an inbuilt 2:1 chain reduction, driving through an intermediate shaft with a love joy coupling and pillow block bearings to the original cone clutch and prop shaft. Can’t beat reliability and electric start. Fuel burn is about 650ml per hour at 6 knots

Engineman87

Registered
Please delete if not aloud or move to appropriate area, the boat in the video is for sale please contact me for details if interested.