• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Bolens Delco Starter Generator Erratic

w odonnell

Registered
tractor is a 1054 model I had the starter generator serviced at a local shop installed a new volt reg and have gone over the wires many times removed the starter solenoid wire and it still registers 12 to 14 volts at the battery then quickly changes to 5 or 6 volts then up and down erratically and wont charge the battery has anyone got any answers for me

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Re: bolens delco starter generator erratic

you stated new regulator, have you polarized it?

w odonnell

Registered

well I did what I read in the small engine manual and blowed a fuse but was also told it would polarize when I used the starter

Bruce Dorsi

Registered

Is it the correct regulator?

Is the regulator grounded? .....It needs to be.

w odonnell

Registered
I cleaned up all the connections and the regulator is a perfect match to what came off I have not tried to jump the field wire but not sure how yet I will check back later

w odonnell

Registered

I have a new development that seems strange to me when the switch is off and the engine is not running I get a 12 volt reading from the batt and L terminals at the volt regulator so I thought the switch may be bad so I unplugged the switch and that made no difference still confused any help appreciated thanks

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019

It has been a Loooooong time since i worked on a generator, but i am fairly confident there is power to the regulator all the time. Really simple system two wires from generator to voltage regulator and one from the regulator to battery. most ground thru the mounting screws but i suppose some require a ground wire. got a picture of your regulator? These generators are nothing like a alternator, they charge slow and i suspect yours has a mechanical regulator.

w odonnell

Registered
thanks for your time it is an old style mechanical regulator and has 3posts on end and a ground wire connects to the bottom I also have a sears sitting next to it and it did not show any voltage measurement when the switch was off I am going to try to hunt down a wiring diagram to this tractor maybe that will help.should have told you it is a rescue from the scrap pile wires may be crossed some where

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I agree with Tracy. There are two wires from the generator, one from the armature, the other to the field. One wire to the battery. The generator, regulator, and battery then all share a common chassis ground.

But there are variances. Some generators have the other end of the field internally tied to ground, others internally tied to the armature terminal. So you must have the correct regulator to go with the type of generator that you have.

Some regulators also have an additional terminal that is used to supply loads only while the generator is running, so as to avoid discharging the battery.

All in all these are quite simple systems, so not much to go wrong.

Keith

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Rescue from the scrap man, it may not have had the right VR to begin with! I have a kohler 10 HP that has the same setup and it has its orignal delco VR so let me know if you need some numbers/ pictures etc of it. IIRC sears had a different setup although some used a starter/ generator but it was wired differently.

Last edited:

CharlieB

Registered
Lots of info on the Internet, including wiring diagrams and sources for the correct brand new Delco regulator, if you need one. Google "Delco Remy starter generator."
As others have noted, not all regulators are created equal, and you need to make sure that you have the correct one.

Bruce Dorsi

Registered
The 1971 -1972 Bolens 1054-01,-02, & -03 tractors used a D/R regulator # 1118988. ...The Bolens part number is 1708287.

The D/R # 1101875 Starter/generator was Bolens # 1716169. ...This start/gen used a bushing on the commutator end.

The D/R # 1101970 start/gen was also assigned Bolen # 1716169. ...This unit had a ball bearing on each end of the armature.

The 1972 1054-04 tractor used a different regulator - D/R # 1118988 - Bolens # 1723480.

I do not know what the difference is between the 2 regulators.

Often times, sporadic voltages can be traced to painted surfaces between grounds, such as where the regulator mounts, where the starter mounts, and anywhere the path of current changes from one place to another. ....Bare metal at mounting points is necessary to insure good contact.

w odonnell

Registered
well I pulled the starter and the old regulator and taken em back to the guy who rebuilt it he checked it out and said the armature was bad so I got a good deal supposedly on a new one put it on his tester with my v/r and it worked just fine.back on tractor and it still is erratic starting to think I may have to drive a stake through it or something oh well I found some corrosion down at the solenoid and I am wondering if it could be the switch thanks again for all the interest in my problem bill

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Well, that would seem to narrow it down to the wiring. Either something loose or miswired. I believe that these generators normally work without a switch, except to operate the starter. They automatically connect to the battery once they begin to generate and automatically disconnect when the engine stops. The wire wire the regulator Bat terminal should go straight to the battery, and the field and armature wires are always connected as well. I would check those three for any possible bad connections or wires. Don’t forget the grounds at each point, and between each part.

Keith

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I went and looked at mine, It is a delco regulator and it has a 4th wire on the back side of it and it is not a ground. Been so long i dont remember if it was used or not and if it was used what it went to!

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I believe that the fourth terminal is for loads that you only want powered when the engine is running, so you can’t run the battery down.

Keith

Bruce Dorsi

Registered
I did some more checking in the Bolens manuals.

The D/R regulator # 1118988 (Bolens part # 1708287) is a 4-terminal regulator.

The D/R regulator # 1118987 (Bolens # 1723480) is a 3-terminal regulator. [Please note I mistyped the D/R part # in my earlier post.]

View attachment Bolens 1054-01 Parts List.pdf Has the wiring diagram for the 4-terminal regulator. ...This regulator is grounded through its mounting bracket and the 4th terminal (on the underside) is connected to the starter solenoid.

View attachment Bolens 1055 Parts List.pdf Has the wiring diagram for the 3-terminal regulator. ...This regulator is also grounded through its mounting bracket.

w odonnell

Registered
I got an offer on the tractor and I waved goodbye as it went down the driveway the guy said he thought it would need a switch I think so too but I didn't really like the design of the thing any how as how i could not move it without a major operation when not running thanks for all of the help though