• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

BPS Paint

Jeff Conner

Registered
Somewhere I heard that BPS paint from Tractor Supply was a great paint for tractor an engine use. It is very reasonably priced. I have used automotive enamels for many years with excellent results, but just couldn't resist trying BPS paint today on a small antique lawn tractor project. I should have known better when I read that it takes 4-6 hours before it is tack free. Sounds like Rustoleum to me. They aren't kidding. I sprayed under ideal conditions of temp and humidity and used the recommended thinner. It took 6 hours before I could move the pieces and I wouldn't exactly say it was tack free then. Every bug within 50 yards had a chance to visit my paint job. More than a few stuck around. One hardy bug managed to crawl over 7" in a crazy maze pattern before he finally gave it up. It says wait 24 hours before recoating, but my experience with other enamels makes me a little leary of that advise. I will try recoating carefully. I definitely have to recoat, if for no other reason than to make all the bugs the same color. At the same time I can sprayed Duplicolor auto enamel on the tractor seat. 4 coats and no bugs had a chance to stick to it. I don't have a spray booth so I have to use the warm summer weather to do my larger paint jobs. The auto enamels skin over very quickly and are tack free in an hour or so. BPS may be the best paint sold, but I can't afford to use it. I will stick with the quicker drying auto enamels even if it costs 10x the price.

S

Sky

BPS is a good paint, in a spray can or in a gallon jug, it takes atleast 2 days to 3 before i'd think about handling it, thats when it's dry, but really it takes 2 weeks before it is a solid paint job, it is gas resistant too. do you have a garage to paint the parts so no bugs find it? dont add anything to bps paint, even if it tells you to, thats a good way, in my experience, to get a messy paint job, only thing i would add is the paint hardener, and thats only if you have one of those air spray guns, my paint jobs i dont add anything to, i let the paint take it's cource, and in 3 to 4 days, it can be assyembled to what ever your working on, in 2 days you can handle the parts but dont bee rough with it, let it set for 3 to 4 days, like i say, before mounting it, it is dry by then, fully dryed and hardened within 2 weeks, when fully dry, well,.... lets just say that, thats the bestpaint i've ever baught, the other stuff like dupli color, though is a good paint, but not gas resistant, and in my thoughts, the other stuff dont have the quality like BPS does, JUST AN OPINION.
like i say, dont add anything to the BPS paint, let it take it's cource, you'll see a big change. but just try to keep the bugs away. :D

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Where do you get BPS paint in spray cans? I have been using DupliColor Engine Enamel from my loal Auto Zone with pretty good results, but it is not as fuel resistant as I would like.
Letting a part sit for a few days is not a problem for me. I do my painting in the back of the shop where my big exhaust fan is (so I don't drift paint mist all over everything else in the shop on its way out) and have learned to let things sit for a day or more after painting. I had to sand out fingerprints and re-spray too many times, so now I let anything cure for at least a day before I even touch it. As far a re-coating, DupliColor says you can respray within one hour or wait 48 to 72 hrs. ( I guess it might depend on the chemical make up of the particular color, temperature, humidity, etc...)
Thanks,
John Newman, Jr.
Saint Louis, MO

S

Sky

John Newman said:
Where do you get BPS paint in spray cans? I have been using DupliColor Engine Enamel from my loal Auto Zone with pretty good results, but it is not as fuel resistant as I would like.
Letting a part sit for a few days is not a problem for me. I do my painting in the back of the shop where my big exhaust fan is (so I don't drift paint mist all over everything else in the shop on its way out) and have learned to let things sit for a day or more after painting. I had to sand out fingerprints and re-spray too many times, so now I let anything cure for at least a day before I even touch it. As far a re-coating, DupliColor says you can respray within one hour or wait 48 to 72 hrs. ( I guess it might depend on the chemical make up of the particular color, temperature, humidity, etc...)
Thanks,
John Newman, Jr.
Saint Louis, MO

Hi John, you can get BPS Spray cans at tractor supply, there eaither got them in gallon jugs or spray cans. :D

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Well, I looked up Tractor Supply and it looks like their closest store is about an hour or so away (Yup, I'm a City Boy) My next important questions would be:
How well does it stand up to heat - such as on an air cooled engine cylinder? That is one quality about DupliColor that I can verify. I have not noticed any burning, blistering or discoloration on any engine that I have painted with DupliColor Engine Enamel. They claim it will withstand 500 degrees F (intermitently). It won't stay on a muffler, but everything else still looks good. I'm paying 5 bucks a can for this stuff at Auto Zone. How much is BPS at Tractor Supply? The website doesn't show prices unless you register and log-in.
John Newman, Jr.
Saint Louis, MO

Mike S

Registered
The BPS paint is JUNK! I painted something with it two months ago and it will rub off with your fingernail.

S

Sky

BPS paint is exelent stuff, you just gatta clean and prime the surface.
over here, the bps paint in a can is $2.95 it stands up to heat very well, exept on the muffler, best paint i ever used and baught, you just gatta be paitent on letting it dry, it's not gonna be fully dry in a day, takes atleast 2 to 3 days before i'd start mounting a part that was painted, close to 2 weeks, for it to be a full solid paint job, you do have to make sure the bear metal surface is clean and prime that before you use BPS, or it will be like other's, just rub or worse, flake off. and that stuff really is gas resistant, to an extent, meaning you cant have the painted part in gas constant, like for 20 minutes or so becouse then it will discolor and lift, i say 20 minutes though im not sure how long it would really take. if it would be a gas tank you are painting, let dry for atleast a solid 4 days before adding gas in the tank, just incase you spill, so it wont eat the paint when the paint is still soft, like i say, let the stuff dry for atleat 2 weeks for a solid paint job, the best part about it is, even after 2 weeks, day by day, that stuff gets harder and harder and more gas resistant as time goes by so the paint tends to work with you, in a good way. :) i've used BPS on all of my engines exept one, and that stuff is solid by now, gas wont touch that stuff, BPS hasn't gave me a problem yet, got proof out there in the shop! :)

S

Sky

:D
Skylar King said:
BPS paint is exelent stuff, you just gatta clean and prime the surface.
over here, the bps paint in a can is $2.95 it stands up to heat very well, exept on the muffler, best paint i ever used and baught, you just gatta be paitent on letting it dry, it's not gonna be fully dry in a day, takes atleast 2 to 3 days before i'd start mounting a part that was painted, close to 2 weeks, for it to be a full solid paint job, you do have to make sure the bear metal surface is clean and prime that before you use BPS, or it will be like other's, just rub or worse, flake off. and that stuff really is gas resistant, to an extent, meaning you cant have the painted part in gas constant, like for 20 minutes or so becouse then it will discolor and lift, i say 20 minutes though im not sure how long it would really take. if it would be a gas tank you are painting, let dry for atleast a solid 4 days before adding gas in the tank, just incase you spill, so it wont eat the paint when the paint is still soft, like i say, let the stuff dry for atleat 2 weeks for a solid paint job, the best part about it is, even after 2 weeks, day by day, that stuff gets harder and harder and more gas resistant as time goes by so the paint tends to work with you, in a good way. :) i've used BPS on all of my engines exept one, and that stuff is solid by now, gas wont touch that stuff, BPS hasn't gave me a problem yet, got proof out there in the shop! :)
Correction, BPS is $3.95 a can over here in indy, $29.95 a gallon, if the gallon stuff is applyed by a brush, it lays down like it was sprayed on, dont add nothing to this paint, let it take it's cource and you'll get in return, a exelent paint job that will possibly last for years to come, and did i menchine BPS is faid resistant...

cphilip

Registered
Does anyone have some tips on spraying this through a Air gun? Looking at it sitting in the can it looks like it might need a tad of thinning for that. Or has anyone shot it like it is? I do have thinner (same brand and what it calls for on the can) and the hardener as well I was planning on using. I am very familiar with two stage automotive stuff. Never sprayed this Enamel one stage though.

TIA

M

Mike F

no matter how much you spend on paint, from $30.00 bps to $250.00 automotive paint. if the surfive to be painted is not preped correctly, there is gonaa be problems.

i personally used bps paint for the first time this weeked,

it went verry well ,, i sprayed a gas pump restoration project. 2 oz. of thinner per qt.. and 2oz of hardener per qt and bingo !!!!!!!!! no problems

no runs no drips no errors

mike

cphilip

Registered
Mike F said:
... 2 oz. of thinner per qt.. and 2oz of hardener per qt and bingo !!!!!!!!! no problems

no runs no drips no errors

mike
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Mike.

dan schuler

Registered
and old painters trick heat the paint on an ELECTRIC hot plate you wont have to add thinner (thinner reduces shine) spray it on warm it covers better and fetches up faster

cphilip

Registered
Ok.... I had a scooter I was redoing and I needed a Orange for this particular bike plus I needed a one stage for the right effect. So I went and looked and decided upon the Allis Chalmers Orange as the right color for this project. And so I picked up a quart as well as some of the hardener.

Initialy I shot it with the recomendations i got here for one ounce of thinner and one ounce of Hardner per quart. Too thick. So I finaly just went by look and thinned it out so it would flow and smooth out. Probably was more like 3-4 ounces of thinner per half quart. Those of you who paint some know this is all temperature dependant and all that so its nessicary for you to know the consistency and not be afraid to thin to that. This paint is no exception to that rule. I sprayed at 50 psi through Sharpe spray guns. To wet look for flow...

Here is the results of that and its very hard after a few days. Nice finish and, if sprayed right, good gloss and smooth. Must know what your doing to get it to flow...

Its good Enamel. And its cheap and it can be a good finish. You just have to know a bit about thinning it, hit a good temperature range and not be afraid to lay it on till it flows out.