• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Briggs 23 F B

ronny p 148

Registered
1952 Briggs generator new points condenser and coil runs like a top ! Don’t dare tell you what I got into this unit parts tools to take it apart flywheel ect . What’s is it worth not that I want to sell it right now !

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Sadly, I think these simple, high quality, low speed older ones are under valued. People mistakenly think they need more power, and they have been taught that old is bad. Be glad you have it!

I have one very similar to yours, 1959, looks just like yours, but I no longer remember what I paid for it. The guy couldn't get it going, no spark, and so I bargained down some. Maybe 50 bucks? That's about what I remember. I gambled that the points were dirty, and won lol. It's been a great little power plant for me ever since! :D

Keith

Last edited:

ronny p 148

Registered
Kieth post a picture of it ! Well I got well parts maybe 60 bucks gas running around 40 bucks tools to take nut off flywheel 124 bucks books on it and ohm meter maybe 150 well it’s mine and it runs I was given the unit ! I’m happy with it looking to put wheels on it so I can move it the problem is makeing them steerable !

---------- Post added at 10:07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06:07 AM ----------

Oh by the way not for sale !!😀

EvilDr235

Registered
The 23A model is a newer version of the model 23. As is the model 23C and the 23D. The 23C and the 23D have different coils and points than the 23 and 23A.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I used a 12 volt battery. Admittedly it didn't occur to me that it might be only 6 volt. I didn't leave the battery connected after it was running, so didn't check charging. I was just using crappy jumper cables, so it didn't exactly turn over with gusto lol.

Had to roll it backwards to the end of the power stroke, then hit the switch so it could build up speed before it comes around to the compression stroke. I'm sure it would work better with proper battery cables, but probably wouldn't have worked with only a 6 volt battery....

Keith

ronny p 148

Registered
Mine does same thing have to roll way back to where I feel compression and help it past compression and it gains speed but just barely makes it through compression !! But my ? Still is this thing 6 volt I want too hook an battery to it like it’s suposed y to have !