Briggs 23AFB on Dayton generator

BernieTech

It has been quite awhile since I have been on the "STAK". Time to try and get my briggs going. It last ran about 50 years ago. Before I try to pull the fly wheel and replace the coil I would like to try it with an external automotive coil, triggered by the points on the engine. I have several post about it here, but now it is finally the time...

Last night I stumbled on a post on the "stak" about the points being mostly closed or mostly open and comparing the 23afb to the 23d. Now I can't find it after searching. HELP

Also, iirc, the crank is a tapered shaft. a little careful tapping and a pry should remove the fly wheel, right???

any help will be appreciated.

bernie

jack0

The flywheel should have 2 threaded holes for the rope pulley. A good place to bolt on a puller.

Aftermarket coils are available and cheap $$.

BernieTech

Thanks.

today I played with it for a few hours. tried to pull the fly wheel shroud off. the frame is in the way. If I have to pull the fly wheel I will have to remove the frame.

I ran a compression test 125 psi, tested spark and had plenty. throwing a nice .5 to .75 inch spark. gave it a small shot of starting fluid and it caught w a battery crank. much more than it did several years ago. I did not put gas in it, tank is bone dry. that is next.

I may gas it and see if we are good, I know a bad coil won't fix itself, but ...

still can't find the post i'm looking for about the points.

bernie

BernieTech

Good day all. Since this is my current thread, I have a general question and a thought. I really like the expanded site with more threads. Now the question, can I move my privious threads from one thread to another thread? For example, I have a tread on industrial and farm equipment about a Pelton air compressor. Can I move it to the new air compressor forum? If so how?.

Again I love the new look.

BernieTech

that's what I'm thinking... 5-6 years ago I had barely a spark. it healed itself... next time I have time, gas in the tank and give it a spin, only time will tell.

Still looking for the post I read about the points being mostly open or mostly closed. I found it on my phone, and now cant find it....I swear it was on the "stak"...

I found it..."Q mag" post from 8/2019. Info I wanted was from Andrew Mackey. No automotive coil for my 23... Thanks all.

Bernie

Last edited: