• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Briggs 23FB

ronny p 148

Registered
I just acquired a generator it has a 23 FB model engine on it anyone know HP ? Do I need serial # to tell year of manufacture ?

Last edited by a moderator:

K-Tron

Registered
Re: Briggs

Can you post a picture of the tag on your engine? I do not believe that there is such a thing as a 25FB. I know there is a 23FB, which is rated 8.4hp @ 3600rpm.

Chris

ronny p 148

Registered
Re: Briggs

We ran into this problem trying to look up this model on the Briggs page and my friend said 25 FB is not listed 23 FB is so we know it’s 25 F B so what is solution ? I don’t have access to engine right now but we did look at plate again with magnifying glass to make sure it was correct .

EvilDr235

Registered
Re: Briggs FB

According to the serial number is was made in June or July of 1952. Horsepower could be up to 9 hp depending on rpm's if engine. You can find such information by going higher up on this page under Briggs & Stratton technical data.

ronny p 148

Registered

Evil I tried to go up like you said to find exact H P don’t know how to do it !

---------- Post added 05-25-2019 at 12:28:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-24-2019 at 11:54:49 PM ----------

Does anyone know rated H P of this engine
Thanks for all the help!

EvilDr235

Registered

The horsepower was not listed on that list. I have been researching the bigger Briggs engines for about 2 years now. The highest hp rating for the 23 model engine was 8.40 hp not 9 hp that I stated in my other post. There is several models of 23 engines. The basic series is 23, 23A, 23C and 23D. If you do internet searches there is lots of info out there. There is lots of videos on YouTube also on BIG Briggs engines. Sorry i can't be more helpful tonight, but I am battling a tooth / ear ache.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Since your generator is four pole, and assuming it is AC, 60 cycle, it runs at 1800 rpm. At that speed the engine will be somewhere around 4 hp, and very pleasant to listen to. :D Generator 2+ kW.

My 1959 Briggs 23 powered Winpower generator is 2 kW.

ronny p 148

Registered
Trying to post video of this generator running keeps telling me invalid file !!😡 the reason is it ran good for 5 minutes and quit just like you shut ignition off no fire ! Cleaned points with emery cloth still nothing condenser ? Ran like a top till no fire !

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Yeah, I've pulled my hair out over bad condensers... :D

Also make sure the plug didn't foul...

ronny p 148

Registered
I took a plug that I knew was good there’s no fire I think easy thing is put new condenser new plug new points then only thing could be plug wire it coil this flywheel never been off would be a bugger to get off !

jack0

Registered
Points and condenser shouldn't be to hard to get.
I would also replace the coil while your at it. Those magna-matic coils often fail. I have 2 briggs 23s and had to replace them both. Low hour engines too.

Replacing the coil isn't to bad. The flywheel is on a tapered crank. No key. The flywheel is tapped for a puller.

You can get coils from ebay or amazon. The hardest part of the job is getting the steel core in the new coil. I had to file some of the plastic from inside of the coil to make the bar fit.

radiodoc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2021
Ronny make sure after you sand the point contacts to pull a piece of paper or a business card between the contacts to make sure there is not any bits of the sandpaper grit between them.

ronny p 148

Registered
My problem here in Vermont can’t find anything for s 23 F B 1952 year and I don’t have part #’s

---------- Post added at 09:45:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44:22 PM ----------

Also on eBay can’t be sure it’s what I need you all know this so any help would be appreciated !

---------- Post added at 10:03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45:35 PM ----------

I cleaned and did run piece of paper through to clean ! Still no spark !

EvilDr235

Registered
I just went on eBay and typed in Briggs model 23 points and the first item that popped up was the points you need. Your points probably need a good cleaning. it may be the condenser, but I will bet the coil has failed as they are known to do. If you search Smokstak you will find sellers here that will have those parts. I also would also search your area for a small engine repair shop that has been around for a long time that may have some older parts still on the shelf. Lots if parts out there, ya just gotta take the time and look for them.

---------- Post added at 11:39:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34:15 PM ----------

Briggs has used at least 3 different type of points on model 23 engines depending on the year and model of 23 engine. That is what I have discovered on my model 23 engines. Also different coils depending on year and model of 23.