Briggs 7 hp vertical engine coil needed

forestfarm

Model 1707.02
0629 01
My old roof mower circa 1968 has no spark.Ive gone over the points a few times to no avail,removed the kill wire,checked for broken internal wire to coil,cant get any coil output whatsoever.Points are functioning correctly.My guess is the coil is shot.Havent had any luck finding the part number ,would also be nice to change the points while im in there.Any help locating the parts would be very much appreciated.I only use the mower a couple times a year,as i get older the roof mower is much lighter and easier to handle than my gravely bushghog.Its a nimble machine,would very much like to get it running again.Last time i put it away i power washed it and i believe moisture made its way into the coil,never had a problem before other than having to clean up the points.Thank you

gdstew

The original coil was 298968 for engines with points. I would not even consider using that coil but instead use the solid state coil 398811 which eliminates the points and condenser. If you are lazy or the engine in such a bad location, you do not even need to remove the flywheel! Just snip off the wire going to the points, stick the coil on, hook up the new wire that comes with it, and you are done. A more "professional" way would be to remove the flywheel, pull out the points and the point plunger. Fill the hole with the proper plug. These plugs use to come with a new coil, they may not now! Check with your supplier when ordering, you may need to get the plug also. I don't remember the plug number off hand, I usually had several laying around.

To look up parts, a simple site to use is partstree.com

forestfarm

Thank you,just ordered one on ebay,they sold over 567 of them.OEM one performed well since 1968,hopefully the taiwanese version will perform as well.Thanks for your help

forestfarm

well,i should have listened to you better and bought the solid state coil.I put the conventional coil on the motor expecting a spark and still have none.I have never had this problem with simple points ignition ever.I suspect the points or condensor are grounded out somehow or the new taiwanese coil is junk.I followed your advice and ordered a solid state coil,cheaper than buying new points and condensor.I will let you know if i can get a spark out of this thing,i dont really need the machine but it bothers me to have a piece of equipment that doesnt run,i take it personally as a failure,cant have that!!

radiodoc

Forestfarm you can check a regular (non electronic) armature (coil) using a 9 volt transistor battery, a known good spark plug and some clip leads. Use one clip lead and connect from the coil HT lead to the spark plug. Another clip lead from the body of the spark plug to the coil laminations. Use another clip lead and connect from one battery contact to the coil laminations. The final clip lead from the coil lead that goes to the points and momentarily touch it to the other battery contact. You should get a spark across the spark plug. If the coil has a built in spark plug cable then just attach that to the spark plug instead of a clip lead. Another thought some coils had a separate ground wire the went under a mounting screw instead riveted to the coil laminations...you would connect the spark plug ground and a battery clip lead there. I hope this is a little clearer than muddy water.