• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Briggs and Stratton model 14

crank

Registered
I'm having a hard time finding a Briggs and Stratton model 14 in my area and I was wondering if someone could tell what they were used on mine was used on a empire walk behind tractor. I think they must have been used on other equipment. Thank you

K-Tron

Registered
I have a model 14 parts engine, what are you looking for?
The 14 was used on alot of the larger reel mowers, generators, garden tractors and whatever else a cheap 5hp engine was needed for in the 1950s.

Chris

crank

Registered
I'm looking for a complete motor. I'll be checking out some of the things you listed. Thank you

K-Tron

Registered
The model 14 engine that I have in pieces was on a belt driven generator. It has a straight crankshaft. The camshaft is broken in pieces and the valves and guides are currently out of it. The block would need to be bored and the seats cut. The coil and fuel tank are also missing at this time. Its probably not worth its weight to ship the entire thing. I thought you were looking for some parts not a whole engine.

Chris

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
The model 14 was made from 1948-64 and was used on a zillion tractors, generators, water pumps, reel mowers, etc you name it. They made over 650,000 of them. That being said its a very desirable engine to small garden tractor restorers. The cheapest way to find one is on a 50's-60's 25" Locke mower but it will have 6:1 gear reduction. I have one on a 1956 25" Locke mower a friend was scrapping that runs like new and has about 85% original paint still in great shape I mow with in Summer.

K-Tron

Registered
I was going to mention the Locke specifically, but knowing they had a gear reduction crank on them I did not. Most everything Locke has plummeted in value. A friend had ten of them and could not give them away. He scrapped nine of them and saved the best mower for me. He had them on craigslist for over 2 years at just $50 each and there were no takers. Its a harsh view of the future of our hobby. There are not enough young folks interested. The 14s are great engines. I have two of them on Eclipse mowers and another on a pioneer gen-e-motor. A friend has one on a Tiger tractor. I gave him the coil off my model 14 parts engine. I kind of wish I held onto it, the price of a good working horseshoe coil has gone through the roof.

Chris

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Most everything Locke has plummeted in value.
Not Locke mowers made before 1940. I have a bunch of some of the first mowers Locke ever made. My oldest being the 36th one they built. They're very rare and desirable because they only made handfuls then and almost none are left. The ones I've sold got premium price and I know if I wanted to sell the other 8 they would be gone in a heartbeat.