• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Briggs Coil

George Vaughan

Registered
Hi everyone. Would appreciate any info regarding a method of "testing" a Briggs coil to see if it is working properly. There are some other issues with this model 8 with the N magneto and I am trying to eliminate reasons for no spark. I suspect that the coil is shorted out and would like to be able to prove or disprove it. Thanks! George

Attachments

John Schwiebert

Registered
Do you have a good quality Ohm Meter? In the samll engines class up here they test the later coils with a good quality Ohm meter. They then compare readings with a new one. A good Ohmmeter is a good tool to have.

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
George Vaughan said:
Hi everyone. Would appreciate any info regarding a method of "testing" a Briggs coil to see if it is working properly.
George:

The best way I've found to test a mag coil is to first make sure the condenser is good (you can temporarily substitute a known good one for the test).

Turn the engine to any position where the points are open.

Using a 6 or 12 Volt battery, hook the negative lead to the engine frame.

Make sure you have the plug wire from the coil positioned so that if it is good, a spark cannot jump over about 1/4" to the engine frame. This will protect the insulation of the coil from arc-over.

With a wire from the battery positive lead, quickly "flick" the wire against the condenser lead (also the coil primary lead). If the coil's good, you should get a fat blue spark with every flick.

NOTE: Do NOT leave the battery connected to the coil for more than a split second. Doing otherwise will ensure that the smoke will leak out of the coil and you know that once enough of the smoke leaks out, it won't work any more.:bonk:

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand