• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Briggs model F input needed...

Tom Schaech

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/07/2019
I've been working on a Briggs model "F" engine for a fellow collector. This engine for many years served as an air compressor before the current owner acquired it. Converting it back to its intended use. New rings, gaskets, intake valve. Battery and coil ignition; had to fabricate the sweep arm for the contact under the flywheel.

It has great spark, good compression, valve timing is correct (multiple checks for verification), check ball in carb working, but I cannot get this thing to even "pop". Valve guides OK...Plug remains dry regardless, however. I've checked for intake pipe leakage, which is common, but it's a snug fit on both ends. Anyone else have any suggestions? Frustrating to say the least. and I really want to get this engine running!!!:shrug::rant::mad:

Chuck Burlingame

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/12/2019
Hi Tom You said You replaced the rings , how is the compression? Had this problem with a 7 HP Economy engine drove me nuts I saw a posting that the ring groves can wear to the point it won`t run The compression felt OK to me I found a used piston and it started and ran well after that Good luck Chuck

G.M.Johnson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/05/8018
How's your ignition timing? If everything is all right it should at least pop off with a little shot of starter fluid.

Everett Hayden

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I've been working on a Briggs model "F" engine for a fellow collector. This engine for many years served as an air compressor before the current owner acquired it. Converting it back to its intended use. New rings, gaskets, intake valve. Battery and coil ignition; had to fabricate the sweep arm for the contact under the flywheel.

It has great spark, good compression, valve timing is correct (multiple checks for verification), check ball in carb working, but I cannot get this thing to even "pop". Valve guides OK...Plug remains dry regardless, however. I've checked for intake pipe leakage, which is common, but it's a snug fit on both ends. Anyone else have any suggestions? Frustrating to say the least. and I really want to get this engine running!!!:shrug::rant::mad:
A friend had an FH with the same problem you are experiencing. Turned out the intake and exhaust springs were the same value, therefore, no real fuel air mixture getting to the cylinder. Added weaker intake spring and engine started right up. I see you replaced the intake valve so I offered this suggestion. Sometimes the solution is so simple we neglect to even consider it. Good luck.

Tom Schaech

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/07/2019
Thanks so much to everyone for your input!! I’m convinced that I have an intake valve spring that’s too stiff. Going to play with it tomorrow night. Will advise!!