• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Briggs Model Y Spark Plug Wire

Cnew

Registered
I’ve got a Briggs model Y that I just got to fire this afternoon but noticed shortly thereafter that the spark plug wire is nearly severed in half. Anyone know where to get a new wire or a high quality reproduction?

Ray Cardoza

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/13/2010
get a couple feet of Copper cored wire. not the modern carbon wire. pretty much any autostore should have it

Brian Lynch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Yeah, the 7mm copper core wire does the trick. Strip off about a half inch on the end that will be on the coil. Take some solder and tin that end. Here's why- Trying to solder the wire onto the terminal will cause damage to the coil windings. Thread your tinned end through the coil terminal and bend it around the terminal. I put a small amount of silicone sealer over that connection to prevent flash over.

Cnew

Registered
Thank you both for the recommendation and tips on installing to the coil, that’s great insight to know ahead of the operation!