• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Briggs Model Y Valve Angle Spec?

Cnew

Registered
Hello, I have a copy of the Briggs model Y service manual but it doesn’t have any specification for the valves. Does anyone know what the valve angle should be for new valves and/or to regrind used valves? Also, I’d be interested to know torque values for the connecting rod cap bolts and the tocylinder head bolts.

Thanks!

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Like almost all small engines, the valve angle is 45 degrees. As for torque specs, I wouldn't get too concerned. Make sure they are tight. I have made a lot of these engines run without a torque wrench!! But if you really feel the need to torque the bolts then use STD. torque specs for the different size fasteners.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
There is no real torque spec. 'Good and tight' was the norm back then. just make sure the keeper is folded around the con rod bolts so they can't back off. Tighten the head bolts in a crossing pattern and do it again after the engine is run a while, to allow the gasket to seat.

Cnew

Registered
Awesomely, thank you both for the quick replies! I’ll go with the 45 deg. I thought that was likely the case but wanted a second opinion. As for torque, I’ll do the good’n tight method.

Cnew

Registered
Awesome, this is incredible info. I really appreciate everyone taking he time to read the post and provide all the feedback!

---------- Post added at 08:09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07:15 PM ----------

Mike, I just noticed my previous reply had a typo. That table you provided is VERY helpful! My fat finger typing on an iPad must have tried to autocorrect and put in “isn’t” which was not intended. Your reply and data table is indeed very helpful. Sorry about that!