• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Briggs Stratton 80252 Coil ID help four bolts not two?

djackman

Registered
Trying to ID this coil for replacement with an electronic one. Condenser is shorted and someone obviously tried to "repair" the coil.

Model 80252 Type 948601 Serial 61________ someone before me mangled the cover in the ID area

Attachments

Bruce Dorsi

Registered
Re: Briggs Stratton 80252 coil ID help four bolts not two?

Magneto coil is B&S # 291617 which has been NLA from B&S for many years.

There were aftermarket coils made for awhile, but I think they are no longer available either.

radiodoc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2021

You sure the coil is bad? I think that coil was one that the spark plug cable soldered to a contact on the coil. Looks like someone used silicone to try to insure it did not jump to the engine metal. I would use a couple jumper leads and a 9 volt transistor battery and disconnect the coil lead to the points and clip one lead to that wire and another clip lead to the coil metal core and momentarily touch the clip wires to the battery terminals and see if the coil would spark across a spark plug with it's threaded shell grounded to the coil core. BTW the points and capacitor set number is 294628. Probably get from eBay and other places. May want to check with a site sponsor on here first.

gdstew

Registered

In a post below Bolen 1000 has a couple coils for sale.

The wire was not soldered to the coil, it was just stuck through the loop and twisted a couple wraps. Soldering can melt the insulation inside the coil.

radiodoc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2021

gdstew I stand corrected. It had been seems like forever since I had seen one.

Bolens 1000

Registered

Nothing but a Briggs coil will work on these engines
They have been NLA for years , the aftermarkets that I used to stock and sell were obsoleted about 3 years ago now, I currently have two New 291617 coils instock if anyone needs them just PM me for pricing

Many coils have taken a hit this year when one of the big magneto manufactures closed up 2 years ago , not enough demand and too many cheap people not wanting to spend $$ is the reason they went under I was told by a distributor.

neverfear

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/10/2019

Bolens 1000, Any chance someone will start making these again or is there any new options out there? Thanks