Briggs & Stratton "A" Powered Service Truck Compressor

mschreiber

Months back touting the great spark i had from the original magneto, now after bout 20 minutes running it dies and spark won't jump and only sparkles with the terminal grounded. I'm hoping its the condenser... easiest fix. ur thoughts please.:salute:

Andrew Mackey

Might be something as simple as a piece of crud, oil, or dirt on the points. Is the spark blue or pink-ish in color? Reddish or pinkish color usually points to a bad condenser. Make sure the magnets on the flywheel are not hitting the armature. If they are, they will magnetize the armature, and you will lose spark. The armature can be de-magnetized on a growler. The usual cause - bad bearings. If you lift up on the crank, it should virtually not move. Typical clearance is about .010 to .015". Try the white business card in the points trick first. Open the points, insert a white business card and partially withdraw the card. Open points and then remove. it should come out clean - no oil or gray color. If you have oil, the crankshaft seal or the points plunger may be worn, allowing oil to escape onto the points. Make sure your crankcase breather is working too.

mschreiber

it's a pinkish sparkle, i'm going to change out the condenser 1st. when i had it apart i checked front bushing and other mechanials in the front. every thing checked out fine. thanks for the pointers.:salute:

K-Tron

Mike, I had a similar issue with a model I was working on. The hole for the points plunger was worn, allowing oil to rush past the plunger and saturate the points. I made an oversize plunger out of micarta to fix that problem. I'd certainly pull the flywheel and see what is going on. I too thought it was a condenser issue before pulling seeing oil where it shouldnt be. Good luck. That compressor came out awesome. It runs so sweet throughout the pressure range.

Chris

mschreiber

its sitting now cause it runs 20 minutes goodnuff... i'm getting close on wrapping up the merc da211 but think i got probs wityh coating the cork float with redkote back in september. it seems heavy and i don't see how to set it right for sight hole. anyone have tips about redkoted cork floats? thanks 4 comments. :salute:

batrider

I love this. Great crisp running Model A. I noticed you cheated a little by using a drill to start it up. Not sure how far the hand crank would stick out.... Is there enough room to even swing the hand crank past the top of the cart?

Have 2 Model A's here (1937 and 1945) so appreciated the detailed video look.

Russ

mschreiber

i got 2 briggs handles with different throw lenghts. the short 1 gives 1 1/2" clearance, the longer 1 won't go on the shaft without hitting the plate base. nice catch batrider:salute:

Attachments