• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Briggs Stratton Engine

Cinamon

Registered
Im rebuilding a Briggs & Stratton Engine for a vintage mower
Model 8
Type 207084
I’m currently not getting any spark. So far I’ve cleaned up everything, sanded the points, of course new spark plug, checked the gaps and still getting no spark. I’m thinking it’s the armature Briggs & Stratton # 291617. I’m finding out this item is discontinued.
Does anyone know if I can use a different armature or anything I may be missing?
Any help or suggestions please!!!

ulgydog56

Registered
test the armature, clean the magnets on flywheel and make sure you have the correct distance between the magnets and armature, don't forget to ohm out your spark plug wire and see if your getting any arcing...:D

Cinamon

Registered
I tested the armature with a multimeter came out to 3.83 area. Gaps are good according to spec.
I did not test the spark plug wire. What’s the best way to test that?

gdstew

Registered
After you sanded and set the points, they still need to be cleaned real good with a piece of paper or contact cleaner. Also check the flywheel key, the slightest mark is enough to throw it out of time and needs to be replaced.

Andy Williams

Registered
another thing, do you have another condenser/capacitor they will cause this if bad. it might run if spun fast with a drill but not start with the rope.

ulgydog56

Registered
you should get very low omh value when reading a spark plug wire on a vom amp meter, also make sure you have correct oem type spark plug, not resistor type....:bonk:

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
The coil lead out wire should be wire core, not modern carbon core. Also, the mag end should not be soldered to the mag. The end should be timmed and then crimped onto the mag high tension tab. If it was soldered, the core may bbe now shorted. Have you checked the sponsors pages for small engine parts? I know Partsman has old parts in stock