Briggs wrong model number

Tom Marshall Jr.

Subscriber
Brigs aluminum eng. horizontal with gear reduction unit on the drive . has a replacement blower housing with 253702 model number which is for a vertical eng. any way to find the model no. for this eng. ? Thanks Tom

JF671

Subscriber
Re: Brigs wrong model number

If you know the displacement, you can probably figure the rest out by "reverse engineering" the B&S coding system:

on the older aluminum block engines with a 5 or 6 digit model number the first one or two numbers was the approximate displacement. Following that was the basic series number, odd numbers usually had a steel sleeve, even numbers an aluminum bore. The next number was the crankshaft orientation/carburetor/governor set up code. Following that came the bearing/reduction unit options and lastly the type of starter the engine is equipped with. It's all in the old red/white manuals if you have one, or just google decipher briggs model numbers

Tom Marshall Jr.

Subscriber

3 7/16 by 2.25 is a 220XXX series , so many variations and limited parts available . thanks for the help tom

Last edited:

K-Tron

Tom, I am not aware of any Briggs & Stratton engine with a 4-7/16" bore. Even an engine with a 3-7/16" bore and a 2-1/4" stroke sounds very unusual. Usually Briggs engines are not so oversquare. Please let us know the bore/stroke of your engine and perhaps a picture or two. I am sure it can be identified.

Chris

K-Tron

I never would have guessed that they built such a large bore, short stroke engine. Any idea what year it is? It sounds a lot newer than what I play with. Perhaps Briggs still stamps the year into the backside of the flywheel?

Chris

Tom Marshall Jr.

Subscriber
The blower housing i have is off the 253xxx which is a vertical 1984 , it fits the 220 which was missing . the last in that series 280xxx would have 2 3/4 0r 3 in stroke . the cu. in. doesn't match the model exactly 20.8 is 220 , 22.9 is 253 , 280 could be either one