• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Brunner Air Compressor help

Tudorp

Registered
Can anyone help ID the model or type of compressor pump this is? All I know is that it is a 1979 Brunner, and the tank is an 80 gallon. But I would like to find more specific info on the pump for future rebuild, or other info on model of it? Thanks

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Looks like one my grandpa salvaged from a jobsite. it was used to make up air for te sprinkler system. As the building was a warehouse, it got cold, so the sprinkler system was a dry set up. The compressor maintained 80 PSI. When a head blew, the air pressure dropped, allowing the system to flood with water, thus putting the fire out - hopefully. I was in a school that used such a system in its boiler room. The local FD decided to test the new system, so a fireman held a burning news paper under a head. The FD didnt bother to tell anyone about the test. When that head blew, it sounded like a double barrel 12 guage being set off BLAM HISS and about a second later 100 GPM of water from 1 head nearly knocked the fireman off his ladder. 4 people were soaked and left with our ears ringing, and the poor boiler operator near had a heart attack. He thought the boiler safety blew (first fire up). result - passed the test but did 25000 in damage to the boiler and piping insulation and ruined all our clothing as well as some expensive electronic controls for the boiler..

K-Tron

Registered
Your compressor is a Champion R15B, likely built in the 1990s. It is definitely not from 1979. Champion has a very sketchy history. It is well known that their compressors have been built in China but carry Made in USA castings and stickers. They have had quite a few lawsuits over it that you can read about online. I am honestly not a fan of anything that Champion built. Their poppet valves are marginal, they run far too fast, and they are not pressure lubricated.

Chris

Tudorp

Registered
Thanks, I will research that. At a quick glance it does look like one of those but at a fast look, the cylinders look more square on mine and the Champions I see on a quick search are more rounded. But they do look a lot alike so I will do some more research on that. It looks like it is original paint, or has had a good paint job at some point if not original. Looks like the compressor has never come off the tank, but the motor does look like it was replaced at one time. The tank had 1979 on the data plate. Could it be just a Brunner tank, with the different manufacture compressor pump on it?

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
when you are dealing with something thats 40 years old, ANYTHING is possible!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
the only thing about that compressor that looks champion to me is the round side attachment, I think its the pressure relief after the compressor has stoped to prevent the motor from starting under load. I have a champion from the 90s, nothing bad to say about mine! cylinders steel or alumnium? if you dont know stick a magnet to it and see if it sticks. mine are alumnium, probably with a steel liner.

Tudorp

Registered
not sure if it is cast iron, or aluminum. It isn't mine quite yet. I am just trying to ID it and find info on it for now. Have a guy wanting to trade me for a rifle that I have about $200 into. It works fine, but I just want to find out exactly what it is, and availability of parts for future repairs etc before I pull the trigger.

UPDATE: I just found a Champion VR5-8 that has the cylinder shape like this one. It looks much more like it.

Tudorp

Registered
I've come to the conclusion that it is in fact an Champion R series. The R15 I have been researching is what it looks like.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
BTW, not that it matters too much, but I believe that tank is 60 gallon, not 80.

Keith

Tudorp

Registered
on the plate it says 80, but it does look more like a 60 to me also. No wait. I just looked at the plate again, and it does say 60. Looked like an 8 to me at first, but after looking closer it is 60.

Tudorp

Registered
Ok, I think I identified the compressor pump. I found a few pictures of a couple that look identical to it. They are Champion R5-8 pumps. They still make the model, but the cylinder is still more rounded shape. But I found a couple pictures of older ones of the same model that are the exact same as the one I posted. I am guessing late 1970s, to 1980s maybe. I still would like to find more info on the older ones, and if parts are interchangeable with the newer of the model. Thanks for the replies.