• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Brunner Air Compressor

krawlr

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Picked this up today for $10. :D Looks like an easy rebuild.

Casting has a 1901 on it, is that the mfg date?
Are the empty ports on the end housings for oilers or cups?
And I'm looking for an unloader to run it off the Z-D behind it.

Attachments

krawlr

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Re: Brunner air compressor

Well she's apart. And it hasn't been the first time. :rolleyes:

The wrist pin in the smaller piston has been pressed in wrong so the oil holes don't line up. This seems to have taken it's toll on the bottom ring and it's stuck in the groove. The wrist pin hole in the piston is egged a little too, I guess from the extra heat/inproper lubrication. I'm thinking an oversized pin will be the fix.

I thought it was strange that the pulley spokes were not fan blades. As it turns out the pulley doesn't belong. It was actually too big for the shaft and had a sleeve crammed in there. So I'm hunting compressor pulleys.

The rod nuts were supposed to have saftey wire but they didn't.(and probably not tightened correctly) Rods are a bit distorted from running loose but not beyond repair. :crazy:

One of the crank main bushings was replaced but it wasn't drilled or grooved for the oiling system.

Anybody know what oil clearance I need on the rods?

I think she'll live to pump a few more cu/ft.

Almost forgot, the 1901 is a part number. Every part has a 19** number on it. So I guess it's a model 1900 or 19?

Last edited:

krawlr

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019

Getting closer to running. I used "OSHA orange" and black hammered paint. Found a compressor pulley on ebay that looks fairly appropriate. Also waiting on a reply from someone that may be able to put a date on it and hopefully any other info I could use.

Attachments

Bill Sherlock

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Don,

Will be a great looking unit when you're done! Checked one of my vintage commercial equipment catalogs but nothing listed from Brunner. Hopefully someone will have the info you're looking for.

Bill

Ken Harbert

Registered
I have one that looks exactly like yours, except for the casting #'s. Mine has a BR on it and a #10. I saw an engine on E-Bay today that has been converted to a gasoline burner from one of these old air compressors. One I have, has no Flywheel, but that is easily fixed. I would like to find some literature on one of these ?? Ken H.

jim day

Registered
Well, I was able to free up the piston fairly easily using WD-40 overnight and 1 tap with a wood dowel and hammer, so now it moves freely, but I have a trivial question that hopefully the pictures will help answering. Is the piston supposed to come out the front? The reason I ask is there is a ridge of rust build up inside the cylinder (I think from being set in that position for so long) which restricts the piston from coming out the front. Should I clean that up smooth so the piston can slide out the front, or is the "ridge" a normal part of the cylinder to "stop" the piston from going to far? It will not come out on the back side because the collars for the flywheel shaft are in the way. (too narrow). Any suggestions? Thanks, Jim

Attachments

JKWidener

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/06/2014
Yes, that rust can be removed. Its just rust and dirt build up from years of use and sitting. Use a hone and some oil and it will clean right out.

jim day

Registered
Thanks JK! Just wanted to be sure so I don't ruin the cylinder. Hopefully I can get this old guy cleaned up and running again soon. Jim

Danny J

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2009
How about this Brunner compressor on ebay it was converted to a gas engine! I think the last time I looked it was well over $700 bid for it! It does look nice!

Danny J

Attachments

Jason Dahm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I think that's probably the nicest job I've ever seen on a scratch built engine using a Brunner as a start!! It's damn eye catching!

Nranderson

Registered

Also waiting on a reply from someone that may be able to put a date on it and hopefully any other info I could use.
This looks just like the compressor on my model 939 which was first introduced in December of 1922. Where were you able to locate any internal parts that may have been needed? I you would be so kind as to pass anything you may have learned I'm sure I could use the knowledge. One thing I know putting those little spring check back in can be a real bear!

Attachments

Nranderson

Registered

Getting closer to running. I used "OSHA orange" and black hammered paint. Found a compressor pulley on ebay that looks fairly appropriate. Also waiting on a reply from someone that may be able to put a date on it and hopefully any other info I could use.
I know it's been years but do you have any updates on this unit?

Andy Williams

Registered
I just saw this post really because i just got a little compressor just like the one jim day has. Mine is exactly like it. His is missing the pop off/pressure limit valve. it goes in the other hole in the front of the head. also i think they are supposed to have about an 8 to 9 inch pulley. also mine has a very thin ring over the space where the wrist pin goes through the piston. (about like a piece of thin barrel hoop) looks like it's to keep the pin from scoring the cylinder if it gets loose. my compressor has a small pulley like his but it's not original. i got an old 1/4 hp. wagner motor that looks about the same age to go with it.

Last edited: