Buffalo Forge #152 Post Drillpress

Would anyone have a photo of a Buffalo Forge #152 post drill that shows the quill feed arm? The Wood County Historical Society in Bowling Green, Ohio has one in the museum blacksmith shop with the feed arm missing. I would like to make one but I would like to see what the original looks like. This drill has the notches on the bottom of the quill feed wheel.
Thank you.

Bob
WB8NQW

Heins

Subscriber
Re: Buffalo Forge #152 post drillpress

Our museum has a drill press with a quill feed arm, but the notches are on the top of the quill feed wheel. Ours must not be a Buffalo Forge.

JoeCB

Subscriber
Bob, any chance that the feed wheel has been installed upside down? The post drill that we had at our smithy had the ratchet face "up", the feed arm was a simple pivot lever, one end rode on the flywheel shaft cam the other end (pawl) worked the ratchet. A stop screw somewhere regulated the feed rate... one click , two, three etc.

Joe B

Bob, any chance that the feed wheel has been installed upside down? The post drill that we had at our smithy had the ratchet face "up", the feed arm was a simple pivot lever, one end rode on the flywheel shaft cam the other end (pawl) worked the ratchet. A stop screw somewhere regulated the feed rate... one click , two, three etc.

Joe B
I don't think it is upside down because the handle is on top and looks OK. I have seen other drills with the rack on the bottom. It requires a pawl with a counter weight to engage and dis-engage the feed. Reproducing the feed arm will require some additional forging work.
The stop screw to adjust feed rate is still in place as is the feed arm pivot stud. All I need to make is the arm and the weighted pawl with all the angles correct so everything slides and pivots in the right places.

Bob
WB8NQW