• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Burr mill parts

Emil K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
If you have a plate, I can have laser scanned and recast. Don't know the cost yet but could find out.

Don Tomlinson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Bevan,
If you can't find original plates, contact C.S. Bell. They are still in business and the 5 inch burr plates they have for their mill will work on these with a little grinding. They have a tab on them that is not necessary but they are a good replacement. Also, if yours is cracked or broken, they can be welded or brazed because they are steel, not cast iron like they look. Good luck !

Bevan Everett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019
The one plate is pretty worn and I would like to have it nice and sharp for grinding cornmeal. I will check them out. Thanks for the tip.

Bevan Everett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019
I contacted them through their website and explained what I was looking for. I am waiting to hear back. They have my phone # and email address.

Don Tomlinson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Bevan, Sorry I was not more clear, it is not a C.S. Bell mill but their plates will work. The mill was made in Waterloo by Associated and possibly other manufacturers for a long period of time. Replacement parts were available from several companies in the Waterloo area. Montgomery Ward Co. sold the mills, and parts, as well as other mail order houses and dealers. The C.S. Bell plates will need to be adjusted some to work, but I've used them and they work fine with some minor adjustments. The original plates are hard to find because the collectors that have some won't let them go. Again, good luck with the project.

Bevan Everett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019
Is it better to buy the CS Bell Plates in pairs or a single and try to get by? The plate on the opposing side in my mill is good. Another question. The CS Bell people have three coarseness levels in their plates. Which coarseness level is my current plate or is it easy to tell?

Don Tomlinson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Better in pairs, and they are directional but will work regardless. Miss-matched plates are better than worn out ones. Yours are definitely not coarse, and look like fine to me but unless you want to make fine flour, medium is good. I can make fine corn flour with medium plates but it has to be bolted, or sifted to remove the middlins. For demonstration purposes, or grinding for feed medium is my favorite.