• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Caldwell Hallowell?

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Picked up this local engine today and appears labeled as a Caldwell Hallowell? at least that's how it seems on the side of the hopper? no brass tags at all on this one? 6hp 5 1/2 bore and 36 flywheels, all others I can remember seeing of this size Waterloo in Aus were labeled Big Chief, any pictures out there of how the scripting on the hopper originally looked on these?

Attachments

E27N

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2020
Typak, put Caldwell Halliwell into google images. Turned up a brass tag and a couple of pics.

Eric Schulz

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2009
There used to be one of these engines at Wheatlands Warracknabeal Agricultural Machinery Museum. I presume it is still there.

CH Wendel, in his book, American Gasoline Engines Since 1872, says that these engines were built by Caldwell on property owned by the Waterloo Gasoline Engine Co, but the two companies were not connected. Wendel's book is worth owning.

The Waterloo Boy must have been the most copied engine ever.

Eric

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
One thing I find interesting in that advert is no mention of the 1 3/4 HP Big Chief.

Cheers Scott

Last edited:

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
There used to be one of these engines at Wheatlands Warracknabeal Agricultural Machinery Museum. I presume it is still there.
Thanks Eric, I will check up on that one, quite a few of the Waterloo Foundry Co engines around here and ran my eye over this one tagged as Big Chief today, also a link for a previous thread mentioning Caldwell Hallowell that could be of interest.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100129

Attachments

Last edited:

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Hi Typak,

What makes you think this is a Caldwell Hallowell engine?

It is nothing like the one I owned - air cooled head, subbase, crankshaft machined on the side of the webs, brass plate on the hopper stating Caldwell Hallowell.......I have only ever seen 1, which was about 4hp, and I don't know much about them.

Regards,
Wayne

rodneyt

Registered
dob dob,
some of us over here in the wild west will be looking at one, no two! this Saturday,
but its no real surprise, Bob had one of nearly everything, including a Victa 500 twin.
pics from bookface.
if you like unusual tools, check out the multigrip-shapefit vice, which at last report proper name and manufacturer unknown.

Attachments

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Last edited:

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Quite so Scotty, was advertised in a few places with the price being a little optimistic!, the last couple of larger Big Chief's I saw sold were at the Bookham auction went for more than I would have thought reasonable, then again anything is worth what someone will pay for it ?

Joe McClelland

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Hi Kim here is a polaroid pic of it 35 years ago when it was still in its original location , it came from Bunyan near Cooma ,property call Rose farm .

Attachments

Paul Ellzey

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/13/2020
I have a 7hp Caldwell Hallowell with a webster set up. It has "Caldwell Special" stenciled on the hopper. It is also tagged as a Caldwell-Hallowell. It is another Waterloo contract engine. Very easy to bump start and one of the best engines I have.

Paul Ellzey

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/13/2020
I have that very same engine in Texas, It has "Caldwell Special" on the hopper. It is also tagged Caldwell-Hallowell. One of my best running, and most easy engines to start. If you need pics or information,please let me know.

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Thanks for that Paul, some pictures of your engine would be much appreciated, the engine I have also appears to have had "Caldwell Special" on the hopper and would be good to see the scripting on your engine, at present there is some progress on this engine with the making of a new carburetor and a few other parts and will add a few pics here soon.

typak

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/30/2019
Some new Kerosene mixers/carburetors just completed, one for the Caldwell and one for a friends Waterloo Boy, was fortunate to find some castings put away years ago that were molded off from an original, thanks must go to Barry Bright for doing the work on these.

Attachments

Last edited: