• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Cam Grinding

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
G. Britnell, or others...
How do you grind cam lobes for an IC engine? I've been just doing it freehand (trial & error) on my tool grinder, then polishing on the lathe, with OK (variable) results, but it's easy to over-grind & make scrap...
I've seen dedicated cam grinding fixtures in Strictly IC mag, has anybody made these or something similar? I kind of hate to spend a bunch of time on a fixture for 1 intake & 1 exhaust...

chrsbrbnk

Registered
Re: Cam Grinding-

were you thinking of single cyl. low speed engines or more like a four cyl. with cams integral and ground on the cam shaft?

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

I know just enough about automotive cam grinding to get myself in trouble, its a science and art. So on miniature engines how critical is the cam? Could you just do offset lobes on a lathe, or do they need the proper cam profile? I've seen a cam grinder in action, long long time ago, they sold it about 3 months after I started working at the place. So how do modelers do multi cylinder engine cams?

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Merry Christmas! more to come, maybe a pic...

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019

Not knowing if/when G. Britnell will see this I figured I'd pull up one of his videos where he makes a camshaft on his mill with a rotary table.

And a couple/few other videos showing different methods.

This one would be a Lot Better if he didn't click on YouTube's "stabilizing" button which distorts the whole video trying to correct what it perceives to be camera shake.

This One might be your best bet using a lathe and a fairly simple fixture with a degree wheel on it.

:salute:

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Interesting, miniature cam grinders! Hmm, friend gave me a too incomplete to be usable little mini lathe last year, maybe I'll get to play with it after all.

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
The mill & rotary table method has possibilities, I had thought of something like that. The lathe fixture would be second.
The other setups are cool, but I'm not gonna spend the next year building one to do 2 lobes...

gbritnell

Registered
Hi Ron,
I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner but by the time I saw the thread it was way down the list.
As was already posted by Otto Sawyer I machine all of my cams. I come up with the specs that I want, draw it up in AutoCad, make step-off chart and mill it with my rotary table.
A cam grinder is a nice piece of tooling but for the amount of work put into it just to make one or two cams would be more along the line of getting enjoyment from making tooling.
Don't get me wrong, I love making tooling but over the years I just couldn't justify making a cam grinder.
gbritnell

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Hi George,
No problem, I set the cams aside & went to some other parts & projects. I'm leaning toward the rotary table method. I'll see if I can get my son to draw it up on autocad, he's good at that, & I'm totally NOT... :rolleyes:
Thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:30:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27:16 AM ----------

This is what I'm working on. I've had the kit basically all my life, & finally getting time to finish it...

http://www.modelenginenews.org/cardfile/cis.html

gbritnell

Registered
If your son can't do it send me a personal message and I'll give you my email address. I can lay it out for you and make a step-off chart.
gbritnell