• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Cameron Ranch 40 HP Reeves, 4-110 Cases, 1-30 Hp Rumely, 1-32 Hp Reeves and ?

Randy Kvill

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Attached is an image of 8 steam traction engines. Also in the image is what looks like an E-B 20 tractor. Only to have seen it all on this day!

Randy

Attachments

GaarScott

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2009
Neat photo!!!! Do you or anyone else know if any of these survived? I'm sure it has been discussed before...as I've seen this photo before...but don't recall. Thanks.

Lawrence

Randy Kvill

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I am surprised to hear that this photo has been seen elswhere. The Cameron ranch was located in southern Alberta. As to survival of the engines, as far as is known, none of these engines are in existance.

Randy

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Randy,
I'm sure this is the picture Lawrence is referring to.

These engines were referred to by Don Bradley and Jack Beamish as the "Noble" engines at Nobleford. Colin has discussed them at length in the past.
Gary;)

Randy Kvill

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Gary, that is the same image in the top only reversed.

The Noble farm was also referred to as the Cameron Ranch by what is indicated on the back of the print I have.

Randy

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Randy,
I downloaded your picture and mirror flipped it in Photo Editor. I noticed the flywheel and gear case on the wrong side in your print. You have a nice picture there. Don Bradley sent me mine about 15 years ago.

I could never tell if that is a 32hp cc Canadian Special or a 40hp minus the cab, in closest in the picture? A cab or canopy would sure have made that easier!
Gary;)

Colin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Dad 1st got the information/ #'s to get these pictures from Clarance Young back in the early 70s.
he also knew that Smoliks had talked to Charles Noble back in the 40s when they were looking for a 110. but these ones were gone so he pointed them to a few others that he knew of around Saskatchewan and Alberta. there was at least 3 late 110s wrecked around Star City Saskatchewan. one of them ran our 44" thresher when they traded of the original 08 engine that came from it. Smoliks got the cream of the engines up there. then between Young, Norman Pross and another guy in manitoba they got it all cleaned up.
Both Reeves there were 32 double simple canadian specials.
one of the years they started in July or August and plowed till freeze up and got 17000 Acres done! Dad remembers when he was about 8 years old he went with his dad and uncle to the theatre in town to see a couple movies about farming on the prairies and there was a string of engines plowing and hes pretty sure it was at Noblefords! he also remembers the 3 Averys going by themselves.
That movie really got dad hooked at a young age:brows:

GaarScott

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2009
Colin,

I can see why your dad got hooked at a young age...if had seen that ol' black and white movie at his age, I'd sure would have wanted one of those big prarie steamers...but which one!:p

Lawrence

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Dad 1st got the information/ #'s to get these pictures from Clarance Young back in the early 70s.
he also knew that Smoliks had talked to Charles Noble back in the 40s when they were looking for a 110. but these ones were gone so he pointed them to a few others that he knew of around Saskatchewan and Alberta. there was at least 3 late 110s wrecked around Star City Saskatchewan. one of them ran our 44" thresher when they traded of the original 08 engine that came from it. Smoliks got the cream of the engines up there. then between Young, Norman Pross and another guy in manitoba they got it all cleaned up.
Both Reeves there were 32 double simple canadian specials.
one of the years they started in July or August and plowed till freeze up and got 17000 Acres done! Dad remembers when he was about 8 years old he went with his dad and uncle to the theatre in town to see a couple movies about farming on the prairies and there was a string of engines plowing and hes pretty sure it was at Noblefords! he also remembers the 3 Averys going by themselves.
That movie really got dad hooked at a young age:brows:
Colin,
Since you mentioned the three Averys, all by themselves, I thought I might as well post them to keep this thread in order.
Gary;)

Colin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Also Randy i forgot to mention theres 5 110s in there. Gary missed the 5th one too when he posted these pictures for the first time ;) its in front of the 32 Reeves with its cab removed

GaarScott

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2009
Colin....Gary,

Since you spoke of and show a photo of the three Avery's, and just to keep this in order:), what sizes are they? Thanks.

Lawrence

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Lawrence,
While I can't guess for Colin, my guess is that there are three 30hp Alberta Specials. The front one even has a steam steering double cylinder motor. Notice the larger steering worm gear on the front one.

Nobody has ever proven to me that any "40hp Averys" were ever exported into Canada. My reason for thinking that is the Alberta (and later other provincees) government didn't like 200 psi operating pressure with their boiler thicknesses. Of course the easiest way to get a 40hp Avery across the border is to change the 200 psi pop valve to a 175 psi pop valve (making it a 30hp Alberta Special), in my mind at least.

If recall, I'd told you prior, Reeves had to go to 5/8" outer wrappers on their special order 40hp boilers to get 200 psi operating pressures up there. You'd mentioned you may have been around a Broderick boiler that may be 5/8" outer wrapper. If that is the case, I have egg on my face again. I'd question that existence, though. Half-inch, I'd buy. Reeves could only get 175 psi with a half-inch outer wrapper, and 175 psi is what those 30hp Specials operated at.

If you ever find out what thicknesses Mark Pedersen's UTs turn out being, I'd welcome being corrected. I just want to know! Tom Cwach wants me to find out as well. Otherwise I stand a chance of breaking my Farmall IH lamp he bought me, waving my 1/4 Italian arms trying to describe things.
Gary:O

halcon

Registered
Randy and David has anyone ever turned up hard evidence that Charles Noble or Noble farms actually owned these engines. There where a lot of these large engines owned by persons very close to Nobleford but I have yet to see evidence that Nobles owned them. He could have been wise enough to let some one else do the hard work.

David Hoover

Subscriber
Good question, i don't know. I did find that in 1917-18 he bought 20000 acres of the Cameron Ranch and began purchasing and testing machinery to meet his high expectations, this according to a history in the Alberta History magazine. That might explain that Cameron ranch pic. The article also describes Mr Noble's farming practices and he was adamant about getting things done at the proper time, plowing was very critical to him and judging by the plowing pictures and number of engines he didn't waste time. In the report of his 1916 world record harvest he had 2 Reeves engines, then by the next year came the pic of all the Cases plus Reeves. I don't think it would be out of the question if he hired contractors with their own engines, but that's just my guess. He did have a lot of borrowed money invested though as it didn't take long to loose it all. Maybe buying multiple engines finally broke the bank.

Oilpulled

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
Lots of neat farming & etc history there. Similar to some covered in Drache's 'The Day of the Bonanza'.

David Hoover

Subscriber
Attached is an image of 8 steam traction engines. Also in the image is what looks like an E-B 20 tractor. Only to have seen it all on this day!

Randy
I keep looking at this picture, after learning more about the story I wonder if this is a picture of success or grief? Could it be a pic of Nobles equipment assets after the bank forclosed? There's no order to how things are parked, nor much pride in showing off a huge impressive bunch of property, just a bunch of randomly dragged in stuff . Two of the 110's look like they might have been towed in together. It's not even set up well for an auction and you couldn't move any of it without moving a bunch of stuff first. Deffinatly doesn't look like a well oiled successful farming operation. Looks to me more like a bunch of siezed assets waiting to be sorted out and liquidated.

Rob Bryce

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2013
Interesting idea, David - being an auction - is something I hadn't heard before about this picture. I'm not yet sure why the decks would be off two of the cockshutt plows, though.

I've often wondered what the photographer was standing on to take these pictures from his vantage. It seems that he's certainly higher than the engines.

--Rob