• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Canada's Old Mills

casertractor

Subscriber
Mill at Eden Mills Ontario in 1930.I am currently doing some research on this mill as its history is a bit fuzzy.From what i know about the village of Eden Mills is it was founded in 1842 and three mills were buildt during those early years so i am not shure as to when this particular mill was buildt.Does anybody out their have more info on this mill or the other mills at Eden Mills Ontario?

Attachments

G Willikers

Sponsor
Friends own the old 1873 grist mill in St. George, Ontario.

http://www.ontfin.com/Word/st-george-mill-ontarios-old-mills/

It looks a little different now because they installed a tower at the back, which would hide the stairs in the above view. The tower houses an elevator.
It was water powered and some of the old wrought iron flumes are in the cellar. I have a piece that he cut out of where the elevator shaft was installed.
I knew the family that ran the feed mill at the last. There is one son still living who is in his 90s. I would have been lost trying to work in there back then because there were grain legs going everywhere. I would have had oat chop mixed with corn meal and molasses in the nut and bold rack!
Today, Tansley's coffee shop is on the ground floor, a veterinarian office on the second, offices on the third, and a meeting area on the top floor. There is a loft at top too.

Contaucreek

Subscriber
Mill at Eden Mills Ontario in 1930.I am currently doing some research on this mill as its history is a bit fuzzy.From what i know about the village of Eden Mills is it was founded in 1842 and three mills were buildt during those early years so i am not shure as to when this particular mill was buildt.Does anybody out their have more info on this mill or the other mills at Eden Mills Ontario?
There might be some info in the mill book I am trying to send you but for some reason you dont aknowledge my offers?

casertractor

Subscriber
Friends own the old 1873 grist mill in St. George, Ontario.

http://www.ontfin.com/Word/st-george-mill-ontarios-old-mills/

It looks a little different now because they installed a tower at the back, which would hide the stairs in the above view. The tower houses an elevator.
It was water powered and some of the old wrought iron flumes are in the cellar. I have a piece that he cut out of where the elevator shaft was installed.
I knew the family that ran the feed mill at the last. There is one son still living who is in his 90s. I would have been lost trying to work in there back then because there were grain legs going everywhere. I would have had oat chop mixed with corn meal and molasses in the nut and bold rack!
Today, Tansley's coffee shop is on the ground floor, a veterinarian office on the second, offices on the third, and a meeting area on the top floor. There is a loft at top too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/299-ST-GEORGE-Ontario-1911-Grist-Mill-Real-Photo-Postcard/382584418680?hash=item5913cef178:g:6XYAAOSwCyFbO~Fj