• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Canadian Tractor and Farm Equipment Dealerships of The Past

casertractor

Subscriber
Many years ago their were many tractor and farm equipment dealers and dealerships that dotted the landscape thru out Canada some of wich have been forgotten over time.I have been doing some research on the local dealers and dealerships around my area of the country and have only been able to find some news paper ads aswell as ads from other sources and the odd picture of some of the dealerships

J.G. Davidson at Ashgrove and Georgetown Ontario sold the Minneapolis Moline line in the area

Attachments

Jack Innes

Subscriber
During the 30s & into the 60s my father owned & operated Innes Motor Sales in Manchester, Ontario. At that time a rural car dealer was expected to carry a line of tractors & appliances to be competitive.

The Ford dealers had Ford tractors & the GM dealers had Frigidaire appliances. (Archer Motors in Port Perry had Pontiac, Buick cars, Frigidaire appliances & Allis Chalmers tractors.)

My father was a Chrysler, Plymouth, Fargo dealer & had John Deere tractors as well as Thor appliances.

It was not unusual for a farmer to make a convoluted deal where he traded in an old tractor & perhaps a team of horses on a new pickup, a washing machine & a JD tractor.

Attachments

casertractor

Subscriber
During the 30s & into the 60s my father owned & operated Innes Motor Sales in Manchester, Ontario. At that time a rural car dealer was expected to carry a line of tractors & appliances to be competitive.

The Ford dealers had Ford tractors & the GM dealers had Frigidaire appliances. (Archer Motors in Port Perry had Pontiac, Buick cars, Frigidaire appliances & Allis Chalmers tractors.)

My father was a Chrysler, Plymouth, Fargo dealer & had John Deere tractors as well as Thor appliances.

It was not unusual for a farmer to make a convoluted deal where he traded in an old tractor & perhaps a team of horses on a new pickup, a washing machine & a JD tractor.

Jack,
Do you have any pictures of your fathers dealership?

Murph

Subscriber
I would be interested in Waterloo Minneapolis Moline tractors. Did the equipment have Waterloo decals too? My son has a Waterloo R.

casertractor

Subscriber
I would be interested in Waterloo Minneapolis Moline tractors. Did the equipment have Waterloo decals too? My son has a Waterloo R.
With Minneapolis Moline i think it was a era/time period thing with the Waterloo tags and decals but i could be wrong as i have seen MM's with eather just a Waterloo tag or Waterloo decals.Some early MM model's have Waterloo cast across the top of the rad and later ones had Waterloo painted or stencil across the top of the rad

Mike Unwin

Subscriber
When I was a kid Dad went to Kinch and Sutton think it was Markham that might be spelled wrong remembered it as a Massey Harris dealership nobody thought to take pictures too bad.. Also there was a Gibson tractor dealer in Scarborough near my Uncle Bills home on Layton Ave.

Do you remember Newton and McCombie ? stock reports on the radio that was part of of life back then .Cheers Mike

audiorep2

My late father , Ash Lorriman, was sales manager for Goodison Industries. He sold product to many of the dealerships in Ontario.

Masseytech

I have found a few dealers names from local history books.

Name Company Town Dates

Ray Gearhart Oliver Donavon, Sk. 1937-?
J.J. O'Hara IH Swanson,Sk. 1910-1960s?
George Clayton Massey Harris Bounty,Sk. 1910s-?
Dolan & McAlpine IH Bounty,Sk. 1910s-?
Gilchrist & Gilchrist Cockshutt Bounty,Sk. 1910s-?
J.J. O'Hara & Sons IH Conquest,Sk. 1943-1960s-?
George Cavanaugh Massey Harris Conquest,Sk. 1910s-?
Reynolds & Sibbald Massey Harris Conquest,Sk. 1939-1950
A.R. Reynolds Massey Harris Conquest,Sk. 1950-1960s?
J.B. McRae Cockshutt, White Conquest,Sk. 1940s-1995
Bennett's Garage Case, JD, Oliver Conquest,Sk. -1948-

casertractor

Subscriber
Martin Milling (Carl Martin) Milton Ontario Massey Harris/Cockshutt/Gibson

Purdy and Purdy Milton Ontario Massey Harris

J.W. Higgins Milton Ontario International Harvester

Lyle Dales Milton Ontario International Harvester/J.I. Case

Richard McDuffe and Sons Milton Ontario John Deere/Cockshutt/Huber gas tractors

Nicholson and Kelly Milton Ontario Cockshutt

Emerson Downs Milton Ontario Rumely/Sawyer Massey

Clements Motors Milton Ontario Allis Chalmers

Fisher Equipment Hornby Ontario J.I. Case

DustyBar

Subscriber
My uncle started Rosenort Motors, Rosenort, MB, I'm guessing in the late 1940's. He sold GM cars and trucks as well as Case tractors. In the 1970's he also sold Versatile tractors. The dealership still exists today, moved across the street and about a block away in the 1980's being operated by his son. My uncle was quite familiar with taking trades of grain for a tractor. In the late 1960's he built a large hog operation to utilize the grain he was taking in. The photo here was taken in the early 1950's.

Attachments

Last edited:

casertractor

Subscriber
Early Motors (Carl Early) Milton/Campbellville Ontario Ford Tractors and Dearborn Implements

Sproat and Lott Milton Ontario Fordson Tractors

W.J. Agar Milton Ontario Fordson Tractors

Boyd and Irwin Implement Company Milton Ontario Massey Harris

Attachments

David Hoover

Subscriber
My grandad Wallace Hoover had a McCormick Deering parts and service dealership along with his garage on the main st of Beeton Ont. My uncle John and cousins have the signs from it.