• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Carb help

SnortSS

Registered
Hi eveyone,

My son is working on a project for Small Engines 4H. As near as I can tell it is an Ariens Model B rototiller with a Wisconsin AHH engine. It has a Stromberg carb that we have pulled a apart and cleaned everything up. To begin with we could get the engine to run if we ran the choke on/off the whole time. I then adjusted on the needle valve and could get it to run but fuel would also run out what appears to be a vent off of the bottom of the float bowl. Any suggestions on how to set it up.

Also it seems like it is running rather fast when it is running,

Tha

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Hi eveyone,

My son is working on a project for Small Engines 4H. As near as I can tell it is an Ariens Model B rototiller with a Wisconsin AHH engine. It has a Stromberg carb that we have pulled a apart and cleaned everything up. To begin with we could get the engine to run if we ran the choke on/off the whole time. I then adjusted on the needle valve and could get it to run but fuel would also run out what appears to be a vent off of the bottom of the float bowl. Any suggestions on how to set it up.

Also it seems like it is running rather fast when it is running,

Tha
If the gas is running out of the bottom of the carburetor, the needle and seat isn't holding. The float may be too high or the needle and seat may be wore out. Take the carburetor apart and with the bowl off, turn the carburetor upside down and float should be parallel with the machined surface below the float when it is upside down.

Zira

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
03/21/2020
The original issue you had sounds like a plugged jet rather than a float issue. Also, the speed is controlled by the governor. I think you have a variable speed control with the Ariens, you should be able to speed up & slow down the engine with that - it should increase/decrease the tension on a spring that pulls against the governor weights and adjusts the throttle plate. AHH's don't like to be over-sped, the flyweights will come apart & tear up the cam gear, etc. Don't ask me how I know...

If you need a scan of the manual, let me know.

SnortSS

Registered
The original issue you had sounds like a plugged jet rather than a float issue. Also, the speed is controlled by the governor. I think you have a variable speed control with the Ariens, you should be able to speed up & slow down the engine with that - it should increase/decrease the tension on a spring that pulls against the governor weights and adjusts the throttle plate. AHH's don't like to be over-sped, the flyweights will come apart & tear up the cam gear, etc. Don't ask me how I know...

If you need a scan of the manual, let me know.
If I could get a copy of the manual that would be very much appreciated

SnortSS

Registered
Hi everyone,

I have had this carb apart many times, Float seems to be adjusted correctly. As far as I can tell, all of the ports are open. The manual that Zira sent to me indicates that the Main discharge jet should be open 3/4-1 1/4 turns but as soon as I open it even 1/4 of a turn, fuel starts to run out the bottom vent. This needle seems to be fairly blunt. I haven't been able to find a picture that shows how pointed it should actually be.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
If the gas is running out of the bottom of the carburetor, the gas level is too high. The main jet doesn't have anything to do with it. The float and needle and seat controls the level of gas in the carburetor bowl. The needle and seat has to shut the gas off when the carburetor bowl is full enough.

medicaid

Registered
I have a ariens model B 1948 . It came to me as yard art. It has a stromberg on it.
After extensive cleaning of the entire machine, as well as the carb, fresh rubber,
and paint, it starts easily and runs on idel, it also runs well at higher rpm.
Its the intermediate speed it wants to run rich !
have had it off for the second time for a throough cleaning and setting of the floats.
acouple more weeks i will reinstall as see where it goes this time.
Perhaps a differant carb is the answer.