• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Case 12-20 New Project

Camerons

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
Here are some pictures of my brother's newest project, a 12-20 Case. He bought the tractor a little over a year ago and has enough parts gathered to start the project. I am looking forward to this project as it won't cost me anything...but I still get to work on it and hopefully drive it when its done.:) Hart Parr is still my favorite but this little Case could grow on me.

Attachments

Camerons

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
Re: Case 12-20 new project

This project has been kind of slow going, but here are a couple of pictures. The motor out of the tractor is stuck, but my brother was lucky enough to get a donor motor from a combine that is not stuck. It looks like we will be able to use the tractor crank and the combine block,rods and head. One of these weekends we are going to have to make a trip East to see Mr. Cory and let him do his magic.

Attachments

Brasherman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Wonderful little tractor for a project. I hate to say it, but the Massey had a pan full of 80w90 and metal that makes that look clean! :bonk:

Good luck and save the other motor, as there are people who would certainly give it a go to save their tractors if necessary.

Oilpulled

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

That outfit loading it looked like Aumann's! Nice project.

Camerons

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
Just an update, the block and head are up in Minnesota getting new valves and new pistons fitted. We had an unfortunate surprise when we removed the first reduction gear, a big chunck of the shaft came with it! :( As you can see in the pictures it is right by the key way. We are debating what our next step will be. Right now we are looking for a replacement shaft, but have come up short so far. Apparantly this shaft was only used on the late 1927 and 1928 12-20's. So if anyone has a good shaft laying around shoot me an email! :) Our other option might be to cut a new key way on the opposite side of the shaft, but we don't know if that would weaken the shaft any. Right now we are open for ideas.

Attachments

John C Walker

Registered
pull the shaft, weld it up and cut a new key way. Set the shaft up on V blocks or bearings so you can weld around the shaft, if you weld length way stringers it will pull the shaft out of plumb

1031d

Registered
We have a good shop around here that will spray weld that back solid and grind it true then recut the keyway.

B.C. Cushing

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/13/2020
We have one of these torn apart (1925 model) and started the restoration. The parts books and manuals are a bit lacking so it is like a rubic's cube. Does anyone have the paint code for the CASE gray color? If so, would sure appreciate it as we're close to painting the reassembled parts. From my understanding, these were painted all gray, correct me if wrong. (I'm used to Hart Parr or JD green, needed a color change!) Thank you. Bart Cushing

Camerons

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
Got the block, pistons and head back from the machine shop last weekend. We are finally starting to go back together. The transmission shaft is coming out and getting welded up, thanks for all the responses guys!.....Looks like someone needs to tell my brother his oil bucket has a hole in it!

Attachments

Camerons

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
I was told by Mr. Cory that the pistons are a GMC part number but he couldn't tell me exact application as he matched them up by size. I am a partsman for Mercedes Benz so I was curious about part application also. The cylinder walls had alot of deep pits in them so he had to remove a decent amount of material to get them to clean up.

Camerons

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
Just a quick update, we ended up sending our transmission shaft to Cory engines and had Todd weld it up and cut a new keyway for it. Our old gear was in pretty bad shape, luckily the fine Biewers folks just happend to have a good one laying around! All the rain we have been having in South Dakota hasn't been good for farming but it has given my brother alot more time to work on the 12-20. Unfortunetly I work in town and live about 70 miles away so I don't make it back as often as I would like to. (when I did make it back I always forgot my camera! :bonk:) Anyways here are a couple pictures from today before we pushed it out and belted it up to our Case L.

Attachments