Case 18-32 K Project

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Next comes the pressure adjustment this spring, maybe sooner if the weather ever gets mild enough again. Some steering tweaks, a couple of things missing and hopefully get a belt guide built and installed.

Attachments

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Great news. Well I think you found the reason for the first failure, that and the bent rod. Thing should be like new now. As to the bent rod issue, I have found that on several units with stuck engines. I believe that when too much water gets in the bore and freezes, if the thing can't move for whatever reason, the expansion when water freezes has to go some where. It will either break the cylinder or bend the rod. Repeated episodes (winters) will keep doing more damage. I've even seen the main caps get pushed off the block and bent crankshafts.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Might have been the heavy oil and cool weather but it sounded great and when I checked rod temperature after shutdown they were cooler than ever. Had a slight knock now and then too, the reason for re-adjusting the rods several times since, no knock yesterday. Man, if it stays that way this may be my favorite plow tractor, unfortunately I have to wait some months to field work again.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
With a recommended pressure range of 4-6 psi a 60psi gage isn't the best choice. Right now at 20 psi it was over-oiling and I will have to re-adjust later. Before I read the manual I had 5psi and thought I was in trouble. Then I think as the pressure started changing from 5 to nothing and back to five all the time, eventually to zero, that pump was sticking on and off the whole time.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
In the process of salvaging parts on an earlier engine block, thought I would show an example of the lifter guide and lifter. This would be on the blocks with set screws in the front side holding each of these lifter guides into the block bore. Mine is late enough not to have this setup, at some time this design was changed and the lifter just guides through the block casting.

Attachments

Duey C

Subscriber
Russ, I'd bet you can guess why I find this photo VERY interesting. :)
When (even roughly) did the change occur to tappet/lifter guides being built in the blocks instead of separate parts on Case engines?
Not looking for a time-line race between Case and other brands :D, but find this very interesting and wonder why the mfgr's did not machine integral guides earlier and instead used the separate guides. I'd like to see a pic of a Case engine with that line of eight set-screws...
That lifter is quite similar to a TC tappet even down to the very rough lathe cuts near the base. :)
Thank you for posting the pic!

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Russ, I'd bet you can guess why I find this photo VERY interesting. :)
When (even roughly) did the change occur to tappet/lifter guides being built in the blocks instead of separate parts on Case engines?
Not looking for a time-line race between Case and other brands :D, but find this very interesting and wonder why the mfgr's did not machine integral guides earlier and instead used the separate guides. I'd like to see a pic of a Case engine with that line of eight set-screws...
That lifter is quite similar to a TC tappet even down to the very rough lathe cuts near the base. :)
Thank you for posting the pic!
I need to check the parts book on when the change happened, left it at home today. Pictured is fellow stak member 19-65ports' 15-27 before paint, you can see the row of set screws for the lifter guides along the block. Next picture is my block on the stand, one set screw in the center for the center cam bearing retainer.
Third pic is the pushrod guide inserted in the top of the lifter and one laying loose. I am used to the McCormick -Deering designs, a similar lifter with the pushrod end inserted in it, no guide. Working on this Case makes me think that they overbuilt a lot of things on their tractors, not that this is a bad thing. I am a career overbuilder myself, here at work we build and rebuild semi trailers and such and for many years the boss was all about saving weight while I was all about adding weight. The boss was 3/16" domex steel while I was 1/4" plate if not 3/8". The boss was all about 3/8" stainless steel bolts while I was 3/8"- 1/2", etc. I never could grasp the concept of lighter trailers hauling heavier loads and lasting forever, I could, however, REALLY get into the concept of heavier trailers hauling legal loads and lasting until well after I retire.:D:D
Sure, you may loose some sales over the weight difference, trucking is all about weight these days. But I figured let the competition be known for broken trailers and downtime while we be known as in one piece when its trade in time...….if that time ever comes- the gamble.
Sorry...……..sidetracked. Anyway, I think Case built some rock solid tractors with the few usual faults they all have, ginormous manifolds that didn't last 100 years, piston oil pumps (although these aren't necessarily horrible) and grease cups when grease zerks were in the market.

Attachments