• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Casey Jones Railroad Engine

Hogan Hennessy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/01/2019
I have a friend that is looking for information on this type of engine does anyone have a photo. Anything you know please, any information is a big help.
Hogan

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Re: Casey Jones railroad engine

Do you mean the railroad locomotive that Casey Jones drove?
It was a "10 wheeler" in a 2-8-0 configuration.
The only picture I could find is below (and it ain't much...)
There is a picture that can be opened, even if it does not look like it. Don't know why that is???

Attachments

Last edited:

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Here is a Casey Jones of a different type. Built in 1915 and used as an ambulance.

This Casey Jones is built around what we think is a 1915 CAD. It even has the CAD tranny with drive shaft and rear end. That's a V8 and it's absolutely beautiful.We had no idea that V8s were being built at that time till we opened the center hinged hood the first time.The T is so crude compared to this it's not even in the same ball park. The T had three main bearings and no counter balances on the crank. 1915 was the last real brass year for the T. The thing was that almost anyone could work on a T. A lot of the T was built out of incredibly tough steal.Some of it was forged and heat treated vanadium alloy. But a farmer could work on it and parts were available in places you would wait forever to get a CAD or any other part. In 1915 the CAD was like something out of Star Wars. I've heard of T rod and main bearing being replaced with pork rind and run for weeks. There aren't any pumps on a T and it only had 25hp. The Caseys steering wheel was rigged to the brake rods. So to stop you turn the wheel to crank the brakes down. The rear end is shortened and chain sprockets and chain to the RR wheels make it go. The inside uses the Cadillac seats etc with tuck and roll leather.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019

I believe there were at least three sizes, 2HP, 6HP and 8HP. Here are some pictures of those I have found on the internet in the past.

Attachments

Fred Longpre

Registered

I myself am trying to find out any information my Casey Jones railroad engine and help as where to send for information on the engine itself would be most appreciated.

I beleive my is not the smallest but the mid size in HP. I had given it to my Son a few years back in running condition but now have it back stuck but looks like an easy fix..

Thank you for anf help,

Fred:

Railcars

Registered

Where was the picture of the railroad car taken?? Looks like it was left outside.

Mike G

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/11/2014

The speeder photo was taken at the East Broad Top Railroad (central PA) by Lance Myers.

Mike

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017

How fast was it going? Nice running engine, and cool car!
Andrew

Railcars

Registered

Where was the picture of the beat up casey jones car taken. The one dennis posted. Have any of you seen any of these for sale lately. I have 3 myself and lots of literature.

Koop

Registered

My wife's grandpa has a Casey Jones, he's played with it off and on for a few years, the most he's got from it is a shot or two.
He's sold the farm so it needs to find a new home.
If there's any interest let me know.