• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

CB "extra" channels

Tim0477

Registered
Hi,

Out of boredom I dug out my old hot rodded CB base station that I have had since I was in high school. It has mods that allow operation from 26.815 up to 27.995 on AM or SSB. I know regular CB runs from 26.965 to 27.405. Are these "extra" channels legal to use? I have not had that rig on the air since the late 90's. I don't remember running into anything official sounding playing around on those channels, mostly just other CBers with modified rigs trying to get away from the traffic on the regular 40 channels.

Tim

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Far as I know,no not legal.But last I read,several years ago, the FCC had left it up to local law enforcement to enforce the laws. Hardly anyon on cb any more so I doubt you would have issues.

BTPost

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/29/2008
Not legal, but since the ALGORE reinvention of the FCC, They just do not have the Field Engineers to deal with anything besides Life & Death First Responder Interference issues... So, unless you piss off a local Cops who are now feilding those CB Issues, when required, as a nuisance call, you shouldn’t get hasseled by any Feds... Spoken by a reTIRE FCC Resident Field Agent...

Sonny Reese

Registered
Back in the late 70's early 80's some of us had "business channels" and no they were not legal (that's why we had them) but nowdays I think cb is strickly channel 19 and truckers for the most part. ---still have my old base set-up with a 351 Palomar bi- kicker on it. Back then I used a Astro-beam and a Vee-quad antenna on a 32 foot tower on a high hill, ---talked about anywhere I wanted to. ----AAAHH the good ole days!! LOL!!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
nowdays I think cb is strickly channel 19 and truckers
:rotfl: Nobody runs a radio anymore, that is until there is a back up. Then everybody has one turned on all asking the same question all at the same time, whats the hold up? How far is it backed up? I gave up trucking but i will still make a run every now and again.

OnanParts

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/20/2020
Not legal, but since the ALGORE reinvention of the FCC, They just do not have the Field Engineers to deal with anything besides Life & Death First Responder Interference issues... So, unless you piss off a local Cops who are now feilding those CB Issues, when required, as a nuisance call, you shouldn’t get hasseled by any Feds... Spoken by a reTIRED FCC Resident Field Agent...
But Dennis Anderson and his sidekick Gary Salsby might be lurking in the shadows....ya just never know....they could still be monitoring 26.995 or 27.045 and maybe even 27.195! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim0477

Registered
Out of curiosity who were Dennis Anderson and Gary Salsby? Quick internet search didn't turn up anything radio related.

Tim

BTPost

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/29/2008
But Dennis Anderson and his sidekick Gary Salsby might be lurking in the shadows....ya just never know....they could still be monitoring 26.995 or 27.045 and maybe even 27.195! :)
Gary was EIC in the Seattle Office for a while, and Dennis was a newbi Engineer, back in the Day, when I was around Seattle, before '91... I trained as a Resident Field Agent with those guys for two weeks, when I first took the Job up here, in Southeastern Alaska... I worked out of the Anchorage Office... but spent all my time in Southeast Alaska... I suspect Both are near reTIREDment, by now, or long gone... Haven't been back to that office, that was over in Kirkland, Wa, in many years...

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Not legal, but since the ALGORE reinvention of the FCC, They just do not have the Field Engineers to deal with anything besides Life & Death First Responder Interference issues.. Spoken by a reTIRE FCC Resident Field Agent...
I must tell you that the F.C.C. of the day had me petrified that a white van with men in black would be in the driveway ready with the handcuffs if I did anything out of line! Later on, the advent of CB Radio quickly did away with that image in any American's view.

When I first took interest in Amateur Radio, it was 1957 and I had a National SW-54 $20.00 receiver. I built my first transmitter using a 6V6 audio amplifier tube, 80-meter crystal, and a hand-wound coil assembled on a wooden cigar box. That combination and a long wire antenna made contacts from Albany, NY to Jamestown, NY on the crowded 80 meter CW Novice Band.

This equipment led me to get my novice license KN2AOU from an amateur radio volunteer in Elmira, NY, and then my Advanced license from the F.C.C. in Buffalo, NY. That, along with a First Class Radio Telephone License took me into a whole new world and affected my life and livelihood from then on.

BTPost

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/29/2008
Yea, Harry.... Back in those days the FCC had teeth, and was run by Engineers... Now Days it is run by Politicos, and most of the good Engineers have long since reTIRED... Few are found except at the FCC Testing Lab....

Fred M.

Registered
When I first took interest in Amateur Radio, it was 1957 and I had a National SW-54 $20.00 receiver. I built my first transmitter using a 6V6 audio amplifier tube, 80-meter crystal, and a hand-wound coil assembled on a wooden cigar box. That combination and a long wire antenna made contacts from Albany, NY to Jamestown, NY on the crowded 80 meter CW Novice Band.
Harry-

That sounds exactly like my novice station, 1955, St. Petersburg. In the 60's I got the First Phone license, but never used it except to list on a resume!

Fred