• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Centaur Tractors

Last Subscription Date
04/22/2019
Anyone on this site know about Centaur Tractors? Are the considered very collectiable? Personally never heard of them often in PA. There is a 1938 mostly orginal with a Leroi engine that I have been made aware of. Wondering if I should buy? Are these more poplar in the midwest?

Tdhanks for any help!! Tim

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Re: Centaur tractors

Their not real plentiful, more of the earlier version around than the later KV 4 cyl. They never achieved wide spread distribution outside of Ohio where they were made. One would think that they would bring better money than they do, but for some reason collectors tend to pass them by. :rant: Maybe some day they will get the recognition they deserve. I have a KV here and it is a very neat little outfit. F.J.W.

Smokzalot

Registered

We got a couple of em'. fun little tractors and they always draw a crowd. if you are thinking of buying it there are couple things to check before you do. Make sure the exhaust manifold is not cracked...especially on the flat head engine. Also, check the oil in the trans. for water as they did not seal well behind the shift tower. Finally, check the oil in the final drives to the wheels. These were prone to leak because the fender was used to seal the outer half of the case:bonk: ....drip....drip.. One last thing...just fyi to any other centaur owners, I'm working on trying to get a foundry to make us a manifold, let me know if you would like a copy. thanks JE

Matt L

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2018

I have a 38 centaur. Been sitting outside for a long time. I saved it from the scrap man. Mostly complete. Bad manifold. Its for sale fixer up or use for parts.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019

Anyone know where I could get a rebuild kit for the engine? It is the overhead valve engine. We had the tractor running but didn't carry any oil pressure and smoked like mad so we shut it off right quick.

Frank W.

Smokzalot

Registered

We had to match internal engine parts by demension. Tractair.com, and there is a Centaur group on Yahoo that would be good resources to check out too.

Doug Tallman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2019

Anyone know where I could get a rebuild kit for the engine? It is the overhead valve engine. We had the tractor running but didn't carry any oil pressure and smoked like mad so we shut it off right quick.

Frank W.
I've heard that an AC WD engine is the same basic engine but don't have any personal experience. Like Smokzalot says, check the dimensions before buying.

John Schwiebert

Registered

We have one at the shop to work on this winter. It is a Leroi OHV engine, but I don;t think it is a 201 (too old for a 226). I will check next week and post.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019

The engine in ours looks a lot like the Leroi designed motor used in the Allis model B or C. But the internal specs are a bit different as to bore. I never really have dug into it yet to get really serious about it, but it would help to get more info before hand. F.J.W.

GeorgeC

Registered

Here is a little gem I came across at an auction in New South Wales Australia last weekend. It had been restored and looked beautiful with the plough still fitted.:):). Unfortunately I didn't bid. They even had original documentation in poster format to go with the tractor. You can see one poster in the picture.

Cheers

Centaur Twin Cyl Tractor.jpg

Ed Bezanson

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
05/05/2016

George That is an early Centaur you showDown Under and was built in the late 20's or early 30's. It has a 2 cylinder. The tractors above were built in the late 40's into 50's. I am not sure of a direct connection between the 2 versions but someone here must know if they were built by the same company years apart. Ed B

Doug Tallman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2019

The tractor George pictured is either a 26 or 27 model G. It was built by Central Tractor Co. In 29 the company went through bankruptcy and reorganiztion to the Centaur Tractor Corporation. Eventually they became Centaur div of LeRoi. They were all in the same building and same basic company. The KV started in 35 and the newest G I have record of was 42.

Bob Willman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2020

Our local museum - www.woodcountyhistory.org - has a Centaur tractor with a LeRoi engine that we are working on restoring. I have seen 3 this summer at shows - one at Portland, Indiana, one at Findlay, Ohio and one a S.C.R.A.P in Gibsonburg, Ohio.

Bob
WB8NQW

JIMnWV

eMail NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
08/25/2011

There is a Centaur tractor setting in a yard on Lower Bay rd in Waveland, Mississippi. Another Katrina victim turned yard art.....someone painted it all blue.

Jim

jjacobes

Registered

Dose anyone know the name of a gas tractor enclypetia that has the Centaur tractor in it. My family had the book. An own the tractors. But no one knows where book is. I'd like to get a copy. Thanks

Gomer Buehring

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/25/2016

I also have a 2G the fellow I bought it from said he bought it in 1920 from a dealer, he had the original bill of sale for it.

Doug Tallman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2019

They didn't start building the G until 26. The company didn't start until Dec 20 and they were building single cylinder tractors using a 5 HP New Way engine. It would be interesting to see this bill of sale. What is the serial number? There is a date code in it.

Gomer Buehring

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/25/2016

I will check the serial # the old fellow was 102 when he passed and sharp as a tack! He had a small truck garden and used the 2G to plow, plant, and cultivate his potatoes!