• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Champion Forge Blower value?

Andrew Albrecht

Last Subscription Date
11/03/2013
I have a Champion Forge Blower with the Coal grill on a 3 legged stand. It blows up from the bottom in the center of the grill.. I have an interested buyer for this but i have no idea how much to ask for it. Does anyone know about what they are selling for? Thanks

ljcooper

Registered
Hello,

A few questions about the forge...

They're worth more if the bottom is crack-free and the metal has not eroded.

Do all the parts fit together well? Does the blower blow and does it move easily? Is the blower stand intact?

If all that's good, then you have a great forge that you should consider keeping and learning how to use.

You won't believe this, but a new one from Centaur Forge costs upward of $700 without a blower, so don't give it away. I haven't priced one for a long time, so I don't know what to tell you it's worth because there are big ones and small ones, but it's worth more than you think. Get me details and I'll help more if I can.

Don't give it away, repeat, don't give it away.

Larry

Andrew Albrecht

Last Subscription Date
11/03/2013
the forge blower seems to be in very good working order. with no cracks or breaks on the bottom shoot. or elsewhere. The cast part that sits inside the grill is very rough and did break in half. I might be able to have a coworker weld it back. but its pretty rough. the grill needs a new bottom but it looks like it can be replaced. it has small angle brackets around the bottom. The unit was inside a shed but the legs were in the dirt a few inches but they still seem solid just need to be cleaned off. There was/is a round rod that was through the side of the grill. Dont know what that was for if even if it goes there. Thanks for any Help:wave: Oh its 18 inches in dia. and about 4-3/4" deep

Attachments

gene w

Registered
the rod was likely connected to the clinker breaker a triangler chunk that sat directly in the center of the air hole

Robert Haus

Registered
I just bought a Champion #400 hand cranked blower...just the blower only...and it is an oldie! It looks similar to yours but the mounting point is a little different (like it was made for a separate stand to sit beside the firepot) It's in great shape, turns easy and the gear train is smooth and quiet...no cracks...overall very nice and it should work well for the project I have in mind. I paid $140 for it and I suspect I "stole" it.

I have had similar units in the past, mostly stuff I recovered from fallout shelters (this was a popular use for the hand cranked blowers during the 50's and 60's) Currently, the new ones are VERY spendy...so much so that it is hard to believe it, let alone justify it.

Hope that helps.

rh

Chris J

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2012
Andrew a blower just like that went on e-bay yesterday, it sold for $90 with $75 shipping, but it had a big crack in it, he didnt advertise it like that he said it was good, but we sent him an e-mail with questions, It depends on the people, i know for a fact that i would not go over $100 for just a blower, but some might, i would say yours would be worth about $100-150, expecially if you sand blast it or just clean it up some, apperence sells!!!

Chris J

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2012
Larry, Brand new forges on e-bay are $175 with electric blower, propane forges with 3 nozzles are aroung $300-400, If that person wants $700, i would tell him that he is crazy, you could buy a very nice propane one, a propane one with 8 nozzles on e-bay, 4 on each side ran off of propane is $800-900.

Robert Haus

Registered
Go check out centaur forge for a look at what current production stuff costs....it is not quite a perfect comparison, however, since the one you have is an antique and although not in the nicest looking shape, would have some degree of collector value as well...especially to those interested in "the old west" and such.

http://www.centaurforge.com/

:)

rh

Blacksmith

Registered
Andrew, Not a bad little forge you have there. Seems to be missing some parts but that really doesn't matter unless you are a collector but I don't think a collector would be interested in this one as it is a bit rough for display purposes. If you take ljcooper's advice (and mine) it will work fine for you to get started in blacksmithing.

These little settups were known as rivet forges or shoeing forges, used on construction sites to heat rivets, tool dressing/ tempering, etc. And by farmers to shoe their own horses. The griil top is missing. Yes, I did say "grill top" as this particular model was marketed as a combination forge/ BBQ grill! Also the ash gate seems to be missing from the bottom of the tuyere.

The pan seems quite corroded but if you look you may see the words "clay before use". About an inch of clay is troweled in to the entire pan and is required or it will burn through.

If you can get some housewife on ebay to buy it as a daisy planter for $300 I say go for it. Each year in September the Southern Ohio Forge Associatoin holds the biggest tailgaiting meet of blacksmithing equipment in the country called "Quad State" at Troy, Ohio. You will see dozens of these here and they go for $100 or less.

My advice would be salvage the blower and scrap the rest, using the blower with a new firepot/ hearth table and get into blacksmithing yourself. You can find groups listed on the abana site www.abana.org. they are all over the country and are a great place to meet folks and learn the craft. Good luck.

TerryJay

Registered
It looks like your forge pan is sheet metal not cast iron you can cut a piece and weld it in and make a good forge. The blower is a Champion 400.In the condition that the set-up is in I would sell (if it were mine) for $125 as the only thing thats good is the blower.When I tailgate at the blacksmiths conferences thats what I ask for a stand alone 400 blower.If you fix the pan and grate about $150-$185