• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Changes at BoilerSaver

Jim Conte

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2018
You will see that the banner ad and business card have changed.
Steve Leatherman is now in the saddle.
I am still with it, as Steve's back-up and adviser.
We also have Art Driedger as Staff Chemist.
Steve Wrigley is still onboard, but working on an advanced degree in engineering.
Bill Bondie from Iron Horse Water, Lakeland, Colorado is an adviser.
Terry, from Terlyn Industries, Clearwater, Florida, is the manufacturer and Guru.

We have Rough n' Ready, a traditional Alkaline treatment from the 1890's
A popular product in the large locomotive field is BoilerSaver 4161 Polymer.
Both the above products should be monitored for " P " alkalinity and TDS control.

The top line modern treatment is Terlyn LSB 4000 for full size engines, in quarts, gallons and larger.
Terlyn LSB 8000 is 1/2 the strength and packaged in pints for the scale model live steamers.
The ease of use and top-notch performance is well known, with thousands of happy users.
While Terlyn LSB has some oxygen stripping capability, that is not the main job.
It does suppress foaming, wet and grit-laden steam, to protect valves, superheaters and cylinders.

A revolutionary new product is RustStop 85. It prevents rusting and converts red rust to black magnetite.
it will not cause foaming. It works with all treatments . With proper dosing and testing, it has been proven
to prevent rusting for over 90 days of cold wet layup.

This is a service to the steam community, for steam people by steam people.

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Hi Jim, is the Boilersaver product food grade? A common steam show practice here is to steam sweet corn for supper.
I'm loosely recalling this from an older thread, so take it at that value, and time frame:
Regarding the LSB: it does [did?] not carry food grade paper work, however, there is no reason to fear eating sweet corn steamed from an LSB treated boiler. So potentially a hiccough only if selling food subject to restaurant or vendor regulations.
Now somebody can correct me! :)

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
A small testimonial: I ordered a bottle, maybe over a year ago, early in the transition. There was a small snafu in communication delaying my order, but Steve fixed it and treated me very well. Thank you Boiler Saver team!

Jim, I think I inquired about that or a similar new product in another thread, but do you have a data sheet on that RustStop, or anything written on how to do the dosing, testing, and any fresh treatment recommendations when used with LSB for a fire say, 2 or 3 weeks later. I just have not got around to my nitrogen blanket plans for between show protection; that RustStop could be a slick solution instead,

Jim Conte

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2018
I'm loosely recalling this from an older thread, so take it at that value, and time frame:
Regarding the LSB: it does [did?] not carry food grade paper work, however, there is no reason to fear eating sweet corn steamed from an LSB treated boiler. So potentially a hiccough only if selling food subject to restaurant or vendor regulations.
Now somebody can correct me! :)
Correct, Terlyn LSB does not have certification from USDA for use in a boiler where there might be incidental steam contact with food products.

The inside scoop is that it contains amines, related to ammonia. It beneficially breaks - down and very low levels, Parts Per Million, may be present
in the steam. Over 60 - some years or more, many tens of thousands of people have been exposed to these vapors. To my knowledge, no one has
experienced any ill effects. It all goes back to ammonia vapors may curdle milk.

An alternative is that BoilerSaver 4161 treatment is, along with many other generic treatments, permitted by USDA.

Likewise, old fashioned Soda Ash, a.k.a. Sodium Carbonate or Washing Soda is also permitted by USDA.

The caution with these is that a " P " phelolphthalein alkalinity test should be used to avoid getting too concentrated.
ASME and ABMA recommend an upper limit of 600 Parts Per Million ( PPM ). Think welded construction .
Personally, professionally and conservatively, I like to stay around 150 to 200 PPM, with a limit of 300 PPM for
riveted construction. It will get the pH up in the 10 range, with plenty of margin to avoid embrittlement or cracking.

Jim Conte

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2018
A small testimonial: I ordered a bottle, maybe over a year ago, early in the transition. There was a small snafu in communication delaying my order, but Steve fixed it and treated me very well. Thank you Boiler Saver team!

Jim, I think I inquired about that or a similar new product in another thread, but do you have a data sheet on that RustStop, or anything written on how to do the dosing, testing, and any fresh treatment recommendations when used with LSB for a fire say, 2 or 3 weeks later. I just have not got around to my nitrogen blanket plans for between show protection; that RustStop could be a slick solution instead,

RustStop 85™ Oxygen Scavenger Instructions
The dose rate in initial boiler fill is 4 ounces per 100 gallons.
The dose rate is 4 liquid ounces per 1,000 gallons in makeup water.
Treatment should be used prior to shutdow,.
Oxygen scavenging is not instantaneous, it takes time to
condition the water and the internal surfaces of the boiler.
Triple the boiler dose above for final storage treatment, while the boiler is steaming.
The simple way to test the oxygen protection is a Reverse Oxygen or DEHA test.
For Long-term Wet Layup, 30 days or more.
Sampling and testing to maintain residual of RustStop 85™ is required every 30 days :
An excellent quality test kit is Chemets # K – 3902.
https://www.chemetrics.com/product/deha-chemets-visual-kit/

We have found that the shelf life is only a few months after the bottle is opened.
This is because of the high level of oxygen scavenging.
Close the cap tightly. Once the product gets tan-amber, it is losing capacity.

Jim Conte

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2018
Jim, could the LSB 4000 be shipped to Canada, or perhaps picked up at Wauseon NTA show?
We do ship to Canada.
We do not presently have plans to attend NTA 2020.
We could ship to you C/O
Oh Ship, FedEx ShipCenter
1044 N Shoop Ave, Wauseon, Ohio

PM me :)