• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Changing rims on military trailer?

Jay Bernard

Registered
My engine display trailer is this old military trailer, which I actually got free from work. I like it, but the large “deuce and a half” 20” lock ring rims and tires are it’s biggest downfall. I’m considering mounting 16” Isuzu box truck wheels on the current axle (lug pattern is the same I believe), after doing that, I’d like to remove the fenders and flat deck the portion where they were.

Has anyone dealt with this issue or down this swap? I know chances are slim, but figured I’d ask.

Attachments

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Jay, as long as the lug bolt pattern is the same size, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Someone who's hobby is in military vehicles might be able to give you more info. If it was light truck or automobile related, Hollander interchange manuals had a nice wheel section that covered that. You could search by vehicle model or bolt circle pattern. Maybe they have something like that for commercial vehicles. Good luck !!

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I don't think the smaller wheels will clear your brake drums. I think you have six bolt Budd wheels. You could change them to 9:00 X 22.5 tubless tires that have six bolt Budd wheels.

Rick McKay

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2015
You might want to think about this swap:

https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/p...MIwbWMlOaw6AIV8P_jBx2NHQBSEAQYAiABEgJC7vD_BwE

Then you could use 16" 8 bolt wheels available everywhere.

Plus gaining the benefit of trailer brakes with available replacement parts.

Personally, I don't mind the lock ring rims, but the tire shops won't fix them anymore, so you have to work on them yourself. They work just fine if the rims and lock rings are in good shape. They are actually easier to mount a tire on than a drop center rim, but going tubeless is not an option.

Rick

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Here is a picture of a 9R22.5 tire on a six bolt Budd wheel. The wheel is turned to be the outside tire on dual wheels. Budd wheels have six nuts on the inside wheel and six nuts on the outside wheel. The nuts are tapered to match the taper of the wheels.

Attachments

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
My '54 Studebaker 2R16 had 9-20 split-rims and tires, 5 on 8 bolt pattern, and the bottom side (where it'd sunk into the dirt) was rotted to the point where all the rims were shot.

I needed to make it able to roll in and out of the shop for restoration, I found a set of 12-bolt 19.5 wheels and tires.

I cut the rotted rims off the original wheels, cut a portion of the centers out of the 19.5's, made a centering jig, and welded the old centers to the new wheels. Not DOT-highway kosher, but will work fine for the restoration, and slow drives around town.20190929_221852.jpg