Chapman Economizer, Marcellus, Michigan

Barry Norman

Anyone out there with info, knowledge or own a Chapman Economizer, made in Marcellus Michigan, USA???
I own Economizer #703 which my Grandfather purchased new in 1914(he told me). Would love to hear from everyone with ANYTHING regarding these engines. thx, Barry

Barry Norman

Re: Chapman Economizer, Marcellus, MICH.

Yes, the original galvanized tank. . . poorly patched with fiberglas in 1971, by me! Very leaky. I would like to find a fabricator to re-create it.

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber

Hello Barry! I have a few ads for the Chapman Economizer engines built in Marcellus, Michigan. Initially they were called the "Chapman Forge and Engine Works". I know Chapman made engines from at least 1903 to 1922.

I also know the company underwent about 4 name changes over the years. Twenty years of making engines one would think that they would be found all over the place.........but no, you hardly ever see one!

Barry, people like pictures, I like pictures, so here is one of your Chapman Economizer.

Hopefully people will go the extra mile to add on to this thread and help us be more familiar with these engines built in Marcellus.

Denis Rouleau

Attachments

Len Spoelman

Subscriber

Yes, Pictures please! Great history.

Do a search on here and you should find some information. Be careful, as there is also a Chapman from Canada. No connection.

ejraid

Here is a picture of my grandfathers 4hp Chapman still in its original paint. It is missing the muffler (always has) as well as the carb. If anyone could get photos of these parts that would be great. I only know of a handful of these engines around still and have only seen one other in person. Definitely interesting engines and an even more interesting history of the company. Thanks for sharing everyone

Attachments

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Ejraid, there seems to be very little information about these Chapman Economizer engines. Nice original paint on yours!
I would like to see more pictures of it, perhaps with a little less debris covering part of it?
Thanks!
Denis Rouleau

Barry Norman

THANKS A MILLION!! This is very encouraging! I am very technologically challenged, how do i post a pic? It took me days to find your post.

---------- Post added at 12:27:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17:55 PM ----------

Denis, Thank-you! Would love to see ANYTHING you would like to share. I am an old dog TRYING to learn new tricks. . .HOW do I post pics here!? Is it permissible to post my email?