chase threads but what pitch?

DustyBar

Subscriber
What is this tool? It appears it might be used to chase threads but each hole has the same pitch. The pitch is too fine to match the bolts I tried in it but seems to be close to pipe thread. The diameters listed on the tool don't match pipe size however. There is no manufacturer name on the tool.

Attachments

DustyBar

Subscriber
Its not a flaring tool. It doesn't have the 45 degree recess on one side to form the flare. It really appears that every size has the same pitch, about 20 tpi.

DustyBar

Subscriber
I took the time to check this tool with my thread pitch gauges. Looks like all are standard UNF for the sizes on the tool. This is no longer a mistery and it will be going to the Lathrop, MO, swap meet in a week and a half.

Beanscoot

Blue Point also made one, part no. AR-6-A.

I picked one up at the flea market recently and photographed it, but I find it difficult to upload pictures to the forum so unfortunately am not attaching a picture.

Power

View attachment 333364 My favorite thread chasers. They have saved my butt more than once. Metric 0.75---3.00 STD 11---32 TPI. AL
Never saw anything like that!
For 60+ years, I have been using appropriate taps with cutting oil.

When I worked as an electrician, we all had thread chasing tools that had a screwdriver handle with a tapered shank. tip is 4/40, then 6/32, 8/32, and 10/24.

JoeCB

Subscriber
What's nice about the style in the OP is that you can start it back up where the thread is good and work it back to the buggered up portion.

Joe B

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
View attachment 333364 My favorite thread chasers. They have saved my butt more than once. Metric 0.75---3.00 STD 11---32 TPI. AL
I have a few of those. . . First One I bought 40+ years ago while working at my Dad's Garage and then a couple More I bought 30+ years ago while working as a Machinist (and often reworking other peoples junk), along with a couple more I picked up at auctions over the years.

And Yet, I still resort to using a small triangle file from time to time rather than dig them out.

They work nice on the Lathe for touching up slightly oversized threads.

:salute: