• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Cheap CDI Ignition Unit

niceonetidy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2008
Well chaps, I have looked for a cheap reliable, small compact ignition system for petrol ic engines. And so far, this is the bet I have found. . . . . . .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10996__Replacement_CDI_Ignition_for_RCG_50CC_Engines.html

$20 for a complete system including the hall sensor. And they have twin cylinder versus too for another ten dollars. This unit will output three sparks In Quick succession. I have one here and its going on a friends cnc made engine. I will let you know how it goes. This unit make a big spark !

Happy days ?,

Cheers

Colin

GeneratorGus

Registered
Re: Cheap CDI ignition unit

Colin, they're getting cheaper, I paid about $30 for mine. It worked pretty good until I accidentally burned it out when my engine ground came loose.

I replaced it with an S&S kit at $40 I bought it at Cabin Fever last winter. Fairly easy to assemble and it doesn't seem to mind an occasional loss of ground, although I would not recommend being careless about keeping an eye on your engine grounded properly.

Don't forget, for slow running models you'll need about 20 degrees additional spark advance with the Hobby King ignition.
GUS

CaptainJohn

Registered
Re: Cheap CDI ignition unit

Take a look at the Black Box ignition, it has a better spark and is made here in USA and can be serviced. I have read about CD ignitions for years & kept up with what small CD ignitions are the best. I will post a link to the video & data. Capt,n

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Hear is the video of the Black box ignition.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110677492888606110397/CDIgnitionTest?authkey=Gv1sRgCKWA4KqdvpCLsQE&feat=email#slideshow/5800709599272854050

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Here is the address for the Guy that builds & repairs the Black Box CD ignition. This ignition uses the same circuit of one of the best units that has been around for may years.

John Weidman
341 Ontelaunee Trail
Hamburg, Pa. 19526