• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Cheap Volts/Amps/Hz Meters

Cavalry

Registered
My light tower had no meters of any kind for generated power which was rather annoying. I found these and they are pretty accurate for the cost. I rooted around in my collection for the IP45 box but if ones set was in a dry location they could be direct panel mounted. My only complaint is they are some weird Chinese dimensions and not any sort of DIN.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHFO4DK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVH64HW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Photo...

Attachments

Denola

Registered
I've used these gauges on several generators----I like to see at a glance how it's performing. It's also a good way to prove the unit is up to snuff if you are selling a used one. I, at least, put the AC voltmeter and DC voltmeter on the generators I use camping off grid----it takes a lot of guess work out of the picture----I've found they are pretty accurate when checked with my meter.

KrazyKarl02

Registered
How long have you been using these cheap meters? I have seen them, but always cautious that after a while they would let their smoke out.

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
How long have you been using these cheap meters? I have seen them, but always cautious that after a while they would let their smoke out.
Only failures I've seen over about 8 years has been on the electromechanical hour meters. They work great, except the electronics board inside isn't issolated very well mechanically. Over time vibration fatigues and breaks the solder connection on filter cap. Same failure has happened to at least 4 meters (which is probably why they vanished from new generators.)
Doc

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015

Attachments

Radiomike

Registered
I too have used some of these cheap meters, good value for lots of applications. My only concern is the voltage connection in the event of a fault inside the meter. The full generator output would be applied to the fualt. I would suggest a fuse in the voltage circuit. A fuse rated for the voltage, of sufficient breaking capacity, and a low current rating. This usually means a ceramic body with an inert filling.

Mike