• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

chevrolet camshaft # cross? spec?

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I know where there is a TH-350 for free, but it needs a short tail shaft and tail shaft housing (came out of a 4wd)

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Y'all aint going to believe this! I couldnt help it, couldnt leave it alone. all i had in a spray can was silicone so i decided flip the engine upside down and hit the cylinders from the back side. 3 whole turns and you can still see the crosshatch in the cylinders! Would never thought it! going to break this puppy down in the morning and put a hone to it and see what all cleans up.

Last edited:

PFT

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
02/07/2020
That video brought back some old memories. My first street car was a 62 Chevy11, 194 with 3 on the tree, and a 4 door besides. Had the chance to buy a 67 283 2 barrel engine from a wrecked Nova, got the frame mounts and crossover pipe with it. It was a direct bolt in swap, cut the 6cyl exhaust pipe and it hooked up to the crossover, used the 6cyl clutch and flywheel also. Most fun car I ever had, with the 6 drive trains gearing it would hole shot most anything around, sure did surprise a lot of big motor Mustangs and Mopars.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
well all apart, and everything is borderline. crank may come thru with just a polish, but if not there is plenty of meat on the bone! same with the cylinders, they may hone out but not with my had held hone in a drill. very little if any wear on this engine, it just got wet. just about all of the rings are stuck, not going to put much time in there yet because if it needs bored that would just be a waste of time trying to free them up! guess its off to the machine shop next, I got a good machine shop. he is honest for one, if it dont need bored or the crank turned he will tell me. Not like a lot of shops that will tell you it needs it when it dont!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
got one head broke down today, It needs two intake valves right off the bat! stems are almost rusted into. guides feel worn out too. but they appear buildable. I may just replace the rocker studs with threaded in ones, I have been down that road! never had one work out but have had one break on the wifes car years ago and it was low miles too 44k when we bought it. makes me wonder if she may have been hot dogging it! LOL! I highly doubt she was. but just maybe?!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Block & crankshaft made it to the machine shop today. kinda in limbo now, will work on the other head when i get a chance. will get some before and after shots of the heads.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I know i have been lax on pictures in the past, and about to do so again! so i decided i had better get some took, I will take a few after shots after i post these. these are in no particular order. Intake valves are not going to make it, they are rust pitted badly!

Attachments

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
2.02" Intakes. I was just looking at the numbers one was made december 5 1965 & the other was made december 6 1965. pretty sure these are the 461 heads. looks like if i want the L79 power i am going to have to up the compression a tad. My book calls for 11-1

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
2.02" Intakes. I was just looking at the numbers one was made december 5 1965 & the other was made december 6 1965. pretty sure these are the 461 heads. looks like if i want the L79 power i am going to have to up the compression a tad. My book calls for 11-1 461's are good flowing heads.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
This is probably going to be a slow build so i may take the time to do a port & polish job and if i can talk the machine shop into it a 5 angle valve job.

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
This is probably going to be a slow build so i may take the time to do a port & polish job and if i can talk the machine shop into it a 5 angle valve job.
No more than you're doing with it, a 3 angle will suffice. And don't go overboard porting. You can do more harm than good. .

Wayne 440

Registered
Given what passes for "gasoline" these days, I advise somewhat less than 11 to 1 compression if you plan on using pump gas.

hotrodzz4

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
The 151 cam has 0.447/0.447 lift, 290/290 advertised, and 222/222 at 0.050

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
curious just when gas went to crap? The last one of these i built was around 10-1 compression and ran fine on 87 pump gas, unless you lugged it. if you lugged it it would let you know it was not happy! I ran that engine up to around 04 i believe. still got it too!

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Hot Rod, Another popular cam in my youth was the 30 30 Duntov Bet I mis-spelled it. You got the specs on it?