• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

chevrolet camshaft # cross? spec?

MColopy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Ok, too many numbers on a cam card and it gets confusing. Card shows 110 intake centerline so we start with piston at tdc and cam and crank gears with the dot straight up. That is where the engine fires. Have the lifter in and the indicator on it As you rotate the engine with a crescent wrench on the crank and careful not to bump anything else the piston goes down on power stroke, goes up on exhaust. When it starts down again this will be the intake stroke. Watch the indicator and it will make two revolutions and as it starts the third go very slow and stop on 50 which would make 250 lift so far. Look at the number on the wheel and write it down. Continue to max lift and back down the other side slowly and stop exactly on 50 again. Write that number down and the average is the true centerline. Say 81 going up and 139 going down. 81+139=220. divided by 2 is 110 and you would be right on. You have to remember the lifter will sit still for several degrees of crank rotation at the top of the lobe just like the piston did.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Ok everything is still in place so i will give your last method a whirl and see where i am at.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
alright, i did it the way you said numbers are as follows 69, 139 added =208 divide by 2= 104

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
6 degrees out aren't I!? I dont know why i typed 4 a minute ago, may have hit the wrong key.

Last edited:

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
sitting here thinking about my last 327, if it was 6 deg retarded like this one is that would explain the god awful top end it had wouldnt it. I still have that engine, it would be interesting to see where it is at!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
should have went ahead and ordered local, with shipping its about the same. will have to wait until monday :bonk::headbang: