• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Chrysler Flathead 6 Industrial

crbearden

Looking for an adapter from Chrysler flathead 6 to SAE bellhousing. I am trying t o adapt a chrysler industrial to my Sullair compressor and get rid of that 4cyl SOHC 2.3 L pinto engine. The Chrysler would give me enough power to start up on cold mornings.... I have several Chryslers, but not a bell housing for the SAE maybe #3 not sure of the number yet

Ken Karrow

Subscriber
You might check so old salvage yards specializing in industrial and farm stuff. Chrysler flatheads were popular in industrial and ag applications

I like oldstuff

Subscriber
+1 on the ag dealers. Lots were used on combines etc. Also check used fork lift dealers. Several brands used them, and White is one brand I know of.

Heins

Subscriber
Massey combines used the Chrysler engine in a lot of their combines. Here is a picture of the casting they used for their combines.

Attachments

Amax

Subscriber
Massey combines used the Chrysler engine in a lot of their combines. Here is a picture of the casting they used for their combines.
It's a sadness to see that fine old engine sitting there like that.

It is a member of the next generation of old engine field finds.

I used a Chrysler industrial to power the hydraulic pump on my home made excavator.----I got the engine off of a Oliver 525 combine,-----They should be in farm parts yards! thanks; sonny

crbearden

Most of the Massey combines used a bell housing proprietary to the combine. I have 3 old Massey combines with flathead chryslers in them. I also ahve 3 complete engines.... Also have 2 old Oliver combines, but they use Continental flat head 6 engines. The old JD 55 combines used a Hercules engine.... I have 2 of those.

EvilDr235

Chrysler flathead 6 cylinder engines were also used in WWII Sherman medium tanks. 5 engines to make a 30 cylinder engine. The engine was called a multi bank engine. We has a large scoop loader where i use to work. It had a Chrysler engine that was gear drive instead of chain drive. The camshaft drove the hydraulic pump. I replaced the engine twice in 32 years using Spitfire engines out of cars. Chrysler also built flathead 6 cylinder engines up to 413 cubic inches with dual carbs and dual exhaust. My friend has one we installed back in 1969 in his 1947 Dodge 5 ton flatbed. He still drives the truck weekly. He has several 377 cubic inch models out of some sort of military vehicle had big automatic trannys with sealed ing systems, dual carbs and dual exhaust. The dog pound in the city of Napa California had a small Dodge or Plymouth engine to put animals to sleep by gassing them back in the 1960s. In the mid to late 1960s Dodge had a flathead with a high compression head and 2 barrel carb. Chrysler also built marine flathead engines.

Ken Karrow

Subscriber
If I recall right the bolt pattern on the small flathead known as the Plymouth engine was the same as the Chrysler engine, give you more choices of what to look for. I don't know about the real big Chrysler flat heads, have driven one, not a lot of RPM but lots of torque.

EvilDr235

Yes the smaller Dodge and Plymouth have the same bell housing bolt pattern as the Chrysler and Desoto engines. Some Canadian engines use the bigger block ,but have cubic inch sizes of the small Dodge engines. On the crankshaft / flywheel bolt patterns i have seen 4 bolt, 6 bolt and 8 bolt patterns. Then some flywheels just use bolts to attach the flywheels and some use nuts and bolts. I have close to 40 years in the wrecking yard trade and seen all kinds of strange uses for engines. If i remember the 377 and 413 engines have 6 intake and 6 exhaust ports. On my friends 413 which he put in 1947 5 ton the side of the block has large block letters on the left side that say CHROME MOLYBDENUM STEEL. His 5 ton weighs 13,000 pounds empty. 5 spd.main tranny,3 speed Brownie and a 2 speed rear end. The truck use to be a garbage truck and is now a flatbed for hauling scrap cars and trucks.

EvilDr235

The Dodge car with the 230 engine that had the high compression head and 2 barrel carb setup was in the late 1950s, not the late 1960s like i said earlier. Fenton made a cast iron dual exhaust setup for the small Dodge and Plymouth engines. A guy in a car club i use to belong to had a hopped up Spitfire engine the would turn 14 second quarter mile times in a 1930s coupe. My friend who owns the 5 ton garbage truck also has a 1940 Dodge one ton he bought in 1956 to replace his model T Ford. He stills drives it weekly. He also has a 1940 Dodge 3/4 ton that he bought in 1958 and installed 1 ton running gear in it and put in a Spitfire engine and made it into a tow truck. It is his daily driver. He started a wrecking yard in 1953 and still runs it 5 days a week. He owns many 1939 to 1947 Dodge and Plymouth trucks. Back in the mid 1960s he went to Mexico in his 1951 Chevy Fleetliner and blew up the motor. He took the gray dog bus home and got his tow truck and towed the Chevy back home.

crbearden

Can We please get back to my original question???????????????? I am looking for a SAE 5 Bell Housing for a Chrysler Flathead 6. They made 2 blocks that fit the automotive market. They were about 3/4in different in length. The bell housing holes were the same. The difference between the industrial engines and the automotive engines was the camshaft gears were used on the industrial and chains were used on the automotive. Also the industrial cam turned opposite the automotive due to the gears. Does anyone know where I could find a SAE 5 bell housing for the Chrysler flat head 6???

Alan D.

Hello, If you are still in need of an SAE adapter for a Chrysler engine. I may have just what you need. My 265 IND Chrysler engine came out of a big all terrain fork lift. I would sell the SAE adapter as it is extra to me at the moment.
Al

Joe ONeill

The Canadian Transportation Museum has a Custom farm tractor that has a flathead 6 Chrysler Industrial gas engine model IND type 5A-210 serial # 35313. We are looking for a good used Chrysler engine or valves, rings etc.
Please reply with what you have and price.