• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Chrysler Industrial LP

Hotrodtractor

Registered
I'm looking for information about what a flathead Chrysler product would have left the factory with in the 1940s through early 1950s as a vaporizer and a mixer if it was originally setup for LP.

I have a 6A (T116) engine that is currently setup to run on LP - the vaporizer has been updated to a newer unit because the seals failed in the older unit, but the "original" vaporizer seems to have layers of paint that match the engine very closely.

If anyone has any information on a Dixie MFG "100" propane converter or a Century 1A-08 propane mixer I would be interested as well.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
There were many brands and types back then... and some components from some manufacturers were clearly better in operation, stability, longetivity, and accuracy, than those of others.

Ensign and Century were frequent names in agricultural engine applications, both in OEM mobile, as well as stationary add-on applications. Sometimes they included dedicated mixers, but there were many outfits that 'converted' conventional carbeurators to gaseous-fuel mixers, some that added secondary spuds, and some that used in-line spacers with venturies for multi-fuel option.

Carter, Holley, and Zenith made bolt-on mixers for gaseous fuels... I have a few in my oddities collection, and they're so odd, that the MANUFACTURERS totally deny any involvement with their existence.

If you're considering keeping the gaseous fuel option for actual USE... I would personally recommend against attempting to rebuild older propane fuel control components, simply because it's risky in both performance, and safety. Modern fuel controllers like the IMPCO J/Cobra and Garretson KN, BEAM, etc., include improvements that make them much safer (very firm fuel cutoff with stopped engine) and much more accurate in their control, than you could ever get with an older (even though well-rebuilt) design. Frequently, the older units you see on antiques are seriously 'orphaned', because the original manufacturer vanished, or was swallowed up several decades ago... and NOBODY is willing to make replacement parts because the commensurate liability is unfathomable.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
The engine type reference is escaping me... is that a flathead four of 116ci?

If so, does it appear to have been set up for stationary, or mobile use?

Hotrodtractor

Registered
Its a 230ci flathead 6 cylinder currently in a tractor (Wards). My line of questioning is more to establish some sort of providence that it might have always been on LP.

I recently purchased the tractor and at first glance - the propane tank that has been on the tractor is newer in some sort of farmer built/modified bracket (currently running an a 20lb cylinder, but there is a larger one not installed that came with the tractor). It has a newer Century converter on it that isn't very old. And it currently has a Century 1A-08 mixer on it - the control linkage from the governor has been modified for pulling..... again at first glance you look at it and go - this is a built/modified LP setup.

The closer you look at it... the more I want to learn about it and its potential history. The engine has 3 layers of paint - I have the old "original" converter that shares the same 3 layers of paint (pale yellow, orange, and red). The engine and converter all share the same paint.

This is the point where I start saying - well someone swapped the engine and that is what they used.... except the radiator and the dash also have matching orange paint under the red.

The manufacturing of the Wards tractor by Custom is already pretty fuzzy as is, which is why I didn't start off by asking specifically about it, or even mentioning it. It will be impossible to prove 100% anything - but to me there is enough evidence to question the possibility that this might be what it is.

Attachments